all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs Shell mode vs AC_CHECK_PROG(EMACS, ...)
@ 2006-09-11  3:46 Don.Bashford
From: Don.Bashford @ 2006-09-11  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: don.bashford

I like to do my builds of almost anything from source under emacs Shell
mode.  But emacs Shell mode sets the environment variable EMACS to
"t".  This causes the output of autoconf's AC_CHECK_PROG(EMACS, ...)
to set EMACS="t", with the result that in any Makefile generated from
EMACS = @EMACS@ in Makefile.in end up with the makefile variable EMACS
set to "t".

One example where this is a problem is the current (Sept 10) CVS
version of gnuplot.

It's not clear to me who should change: autoconf, emacs, developers
using emacs as a built tool, or users like me.  If it's one of the
latter two, a warning would be nice.  Perhaps the simplest solution
would be for emacs Shell to either not set EMACS or set it to "emacs".

emacs version: 21.3.1
autoconf version: 2.60
m4 version: 1.4.6
system: fedora core 1 gnu/linux