all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is there a package to translate perl regexp to elisp regexp?
@ 2007-06-07  2:50 Yu,Gang
From: Yu,Gang @ 2007-06-07  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I search it in emacswiki, but got no answer

thanks

--
YuGang

* Re: Is there a package to translate perl regexp to elisp regexp?
       [not found] <mailman.1700.1181184628.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-06-07  7:17 ` carsten.dominik
From: carsten.dominik @ 2007-06-07  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jun 7, 4:50 am, "Yu,Gang" <wuhanyug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I search it in emacswiki, but got no answer
>
> thanks
>
> --
> YuGang

Such a package is impossible, since perl regular expressions
are richer than Elisp ones.

- Carsten

@ 2007-06-08 11:03 ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-06-08 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Yu,Gang" <wuhanyugang@gmail.com> asked,

    Is there a package to translate perl regexp to elisp regexp?

Last year, something like this was discussed on the emacs-devel list, to
be added after the release. Emacs 22 was released recently, so I guess
you could go ahead now and ask them what's up.

* Re: Is there a package to translate perl regexp to elisp regexp?
@ 2007-06-12 14:04   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-06-12 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I search it in emacswiki, but got no answer
> Such a package is impossible, since perl regular expressions
> are richer than Elisp ones.

That's OK.  Emacs does the impossible every day.

        Stefan

PS: you can still write a package that does the translation: it will just
fail in some cases.  That wouldn't necessarily make it useless.