all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
@ 2007-09-26 17:41 Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-09-26 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am new to this mailing-list and I found difficult to reply
in this mailing-list with some people sending to a particular person and
forwarding to the mailing list with Cc and other people with a mail like
spam@spam .

So if i hit "r" in gnus my reply is not to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
it is may be to spam@spam or better to the sender with a real adress
and i have to Cc anyway to the mailinglist.

because i am lazy to reply always to help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
i did that and it's seem to work fine:

Added in .gnus.el:

(setq message-reply-to-function
      (lambda ()
	(cond ((equal (mail-fetch-field "To") "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
	       (list (cons 'To (mail-fetch-field "To"))))
	      ((equal (mail-fetch-field "Cc") "help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org")
	       (list (cons 'To (mail-fetch-field "Cc"))))
	      (t
	       nil))))

Like that every time you hit "r" to reply to this mailing-list
the To header is filled with help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org :)

May be there is some thing better to do i have missed ?

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-09-26 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <tvolpiatt@neuf.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to this mailing-list and I found difficult to reply
> in this mailing-list with some people sending to a particular person and
> forwarding to the mailing list with Cc and other people with a mail like
> spam@spam .

Try `f' or `F'.

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  Perhaps we should start               |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |     making protest releases            |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

@ 2007-09-26 18:48   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-09-26 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Michaël> Thierry Volpiatto <tvolpiatt@neuf.fr> writes:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am new to this mailing-list and I found difficult to reply in
    >> this mailing-list with some people sending to a particular person
    >> and forwarding to the mailing list with Cc and other people with
    >> a mail like spam@spam .

    Michaël> Try `f' or `F'.

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

@ 2007-09-26 19:18     ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-09-26 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>     Michaël> Thierry Volpiatto <tvolpiatt@neuf.fr> writes:
>     >> Hello,
>     >>
>     >> I am new to this mailing-list and I found difficult to reply in
>     >> this mailing-list with some people sending to a particular person
>     >> and forwarding to the mailing list with Cc and other people with
>     >> a mail like spam@spam .
>
>     Michaël> Try `f' or `F'.
>
>     Thierry>

Your self quoting style is a real PITA IMO.  If someone wants to quote
your text, fine, but this is really hard to read someone who is quoting
himself.

> Yes , I know the "f" "F" forwarding command but that fill the To
> header with the addres of the sender if the address of the sender is
> like spam@spam or not a real address like michael@cadilhac.name :) you
> arrive to the mailing list but the mail server (neuf for me) will not
> be happy

Well, the use of spam@spam is fundamentally bogus, so if you are led to
reply to such an address, just complain to the author, asking him to put
a valid mail address or to use a standard mail header saying that one
should not reply to the author.

Or just don't reply to spam@spam users, to protest :-)

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |    Le second degré,                    |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |       c'est un peu                     |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

@ 2007-09-26 19:20       ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-09-26 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

>  to use a standard mail header saying that one should not reply to the
> author.

And BTW, I don't have such a header, so please add me to the To: or Cc:
list.

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  Libertude,                            |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |        Égalitude,                      |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

@ 2007-09-26 19:38         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-09-26 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Michaël> michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:
    >> to use a standard mail header saying that one should not reply to
    >> the author.

    Michaël> And BTW, I don't have such a header, so please add me to
    Michaël> the To: or Cc: list.

    Thierry> How can I do that ?  What is BTW ?

    Michaël> -- | Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac | Libertude, | |
    Michaël> http://michael.cadilhac.name | Égalitude, | | JID/MSN: |
    Michaël> Fraternitude.  | `---- michael.cadilhac@gmail.com | -- À
    Michaël> peu près S.R.  - --'

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

@ 2007-09-26 20:49       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-09-26 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    >> in >> this mailing-list with some people sending to a particular
    >> person >> and forwarding to the mailing list with Cc and other
    >> people with >> a mail like spam@spam .

    Michaël> Try `f' or `F'.

    Michaël> Your self quoting style is a real PITA IMO.  If someone
    Michaël> wants to quote
    Michaël> your text, fine, but this is really hard to read someone
    Michaël> who is quoting himself.

Ha!Ha! your right, I have just install supercite and i am trying it. :)
Better like that ?

    >> Yes , I know the "f" "F" forwarding command but that fill the To
    >> header with the addres of the sender if the address of the sender
    >> is like spam@spam or not a real address like
    >> michael@cadilhac.name :) you reply to this adress and Cc to the
    >> mailing list, so the mail will arrive to the mailing list but the
    >> mail server (neuf for me) will not be happy

    Michaël> Well, the use of spam@spam is fundamentally bogus, so if
    Michaël> you are led to reply to such an address, just complain to
    Michaël> the author, asking him to put a valid mail address or to
    Michaël> use a standard mail header saying that one should not reply
    Michaël> to the author.

Happy to hear that, it's what i think too, but if you forget to look at
the header To and reply you have problems; it's why i modify this
variable.
Thank you for your advices and sorry for my tests on quoting with
supercite and my bad english :)

    Michaël> Or just don't reply to spam@spam users, to protest :-)

    Michaël> -- | Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac | Le second degré, | |
    Michaël> http://michael.cadilhac.name | c'est un peu | | JID/MSN: |
    Michaël> le verlan sémantique.  | `---- michael.cadilhac@gmail.com |
    Michaël> - --'

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

@ 2007-09-26 21:02           ` Michaël Cadilhac
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1356.1190845858.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-09-26 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>     Michaël> michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:
>     >> to use a standard mail header saying that one should not reply to
>     >> the author.
>
>     Michaël> And BTW, I don't have such a header, so please add me to
>     Michaël> the To: or Cc: list.
>
> How can I do that ?

Just use the plain ol' `f' or `F' key.

> What is BTW ?

BTW?  Just Google it.  It's `By The Way'.

>     Michaël> -- | Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac | Libertude, | |
>     Michaël> http://michael.cadilhac.name | Égalitude, | | JID/MSN: |
>     Michaël> Fraternitude.  | `---- michael.cadilhac@gmail.com | -- À
>     Michaël> peu près S.R.  - --'

Please remove the signature while quoting someone.

  (setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  Une erreur peut devenir exacte        |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |     selon que celui qui l'a commise    |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

@ 2007-09-26 21:10         ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2007-09-26 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>     Michaël> Your self quoting style is a real PITA IMO.  If someone
>     Michaël> wants to quote
>     Michaël> your text, fine, but this is really hard to read someone
>     Michaël> who is quoting himself.
>
> Ha!Ha! your right, I have just install supercite and i am trying
> it. :)  Better like that ?

Much better.  However, it may be overkill to use `Michaël>' AND
indenting.

>     Michaël> Well, the use of spam@spam is fundamentally bogus, so if
>     Michaël> you are led to reply to such an address, just complain to
>     Michaël> the author, asking him to put a valid mail address or to
>     Michaël> use a standard mail header saying that one should not reply
>     Michaël> to the author.
>
> Happy to hear that, it's what i think too, but if you forget to look at
> the header To and reply you have problems;

Is it so much of a problem to receive a Mailer Daemon Error?  If it's
such a huge problem for you, you'll be in a good mood to brush off the
faulty bloke ;-)

> Thank you for your advices and sorry for my tests on quoting with
> supercite and my bad english :)

Hey, everything's fine ; I'm not sure mine is better ;-)

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  How come that I am arguing            |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |      against my idea and               |

@ 2007-09-26 22:37             ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]             ` <mailman.1356.1190845858.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-09-26 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michaël Cadilhac; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    >> to >> the author.

    Michaël> And BTW, I don't have such a header, so please add me to
    Michaël> the To: or Cc: list.

    >> How can I do that ?

    Michaël> Just use the plain ol' `f' or `F' key.

    >> What is BTW ?

    Michaël> BTW?  Just Google it.  It's `By The Way'.

    Michaël> -- | Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac | Libertude, | |
    Michaël> http://michael.cadilhac.name | Égalitude, | | JID/MSN: |
    Michaël> Fraternitude.  | `---- michael.cadilhac@gmail.com | -- À
    Michaël> peu près S.R.  - --'

    Michaël> Please remove the signature while quoting someone.

    Michaël>   (setq message-cite-function
    Michaël> 'message-cite-original-without-signature)

I can't use that, it disable supercite, supercite must have a similar
variable or a way to set that but i didn't find it yet.

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-09-28 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I can't use that, it disable supercite, supercite must have a similar
> variable or a way to set that but i didn't find it yet.

Disabling supercite is a feature.

        Stefan "Please use just '> ' for quoting text"