all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
@ 2007-12-14 17:46 John Wells
From: John Wells @ 2007-12-14 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Guys,

I've learned that anti-aliased fonts don't appear to be supported yet
on 22, and I've also found that compiling the unicode branch out of
CVS enables this support.

I've done the compile and it works great...fonts look wonderful.
However, the problem is the custom compiled emacs doesn't find all my
pre-installed Debian packaged modes and utilities, like ecb,
ruby-mode, etc.

It appears that the dpkg's put the various installed files in:

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp

Then, when I start emacs, these are already there, loaded.

Can someone tell me what configurations settings I need to do to make
these work with my custom compile? Is it a ./configure option? Is it
some central emacs config file? Can I inspect where my custom compile
is looking for modes easily through emacs itself?

Sorry for so many questions...I'm learning quickly, but there's a lot to learn!

Thanks!
John

* Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
@ 2007-12-14 18:23 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.5054.1197784667.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-14 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.12.2007 um 18:46 schrieb John Wells:

> Can someone tell me what configurations settings I need to do to make
> these work with my custom compile? Is it a ./configure option?

--enable-locallisppath=PATH

--
Greetings

   Pete

One doesn't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher
moral development.  One expects them to obey the law because they
know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
				– Michael Shirley

* Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
@ 2007-12-14 19:44   ` John Wells
From: John Wells @ 2007-12-14 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa, help-gnu-emacs

On 12/14/07, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

> Am 14.12.2007 um 18:46 schrieb John Wells:
>
> > Can someone tell me what configurations settings I need to do to make
> > these work with my custom compile? Is it a ./configure option?
>
> --enable-locallisppath=PATH

Thanks Peter.

Is there a way to see what was compiled in from within emacs?
Cleaning, reconfiguring with the above and recompiling didn't seem to
work for me.

@ 2007-12-14 22:47     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-12-14 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.12.2007 um 20:44 schrieb John Wells:

> Is there a way to see what was compiled in from within emacs?

I don't understand your question. Maybe the *compilation* buffer has
something to offer? Or are you looking for 'ldd <binary>' (otool -L
in Mac OS X)?

The PATH value can be long: path1:path2:path3:... Maybe you missed
the appropriate directory. For this purpose check load-path in the
debian product and load-path in your Emacs. The difference will make
the difference ...

BTW, I am using a bit of code I found somewhere in site-start.el:

(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
   (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Loding now: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

Could it works to pass this as code to evaluate on the command line.
Then *Messages* should contain messages like

	(Tipp von Kai G) Loding now: auctex.el

This might help to identify from where debian code is loaded. In a
debian-like Emacs 21.3.50 it loads from /sw/etc/emacs/site-start.d.
Startup.el should be a file that can have debian additions/hacks – my
debian-like Emacs some 'flavor' added and executed/loaded there.

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

* Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
       [not found] <mailman.5036.1197654377.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-15  2:43 ` 方旭亮
From: 方旭亮 @ 2007-12-15  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"John Wells" <lists@sourceillustrated.com> writes:

> Guys,
>
> I've learned that anti-aliased fonts don't appear to be supported yet
> on 22, and I've also found that compiling the unicode branch out of
> CVS enables this support.
>
> I've done the compile and it works great...fonts look wonderful.
> However, the problem is the custom compiled emacs doesn't find all my
> pre-installed Debian packaged modes and utilities, like ecb,
> ruby-mode, etc.
  where is your unicode version emacs install? /usr/local/share ?

> It appears that the dpkg's put the various installed files in:
>
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp
>
> Then, when I start emacs, these are already there, loaded.
>
> Can someone tell me what configurations settings I need to do to make
> these work with my custom compile? Is it a ./configure option? Is it
> some central emacs config file? Can I inspect where my custom compile
> is looking for modes easily through emacs itself?

  you can put all the other modes i.e ecb ruby-mode to you home ,
  .emacs.d/site-lisp
 then load this in your .emacs file,so whenever you install other
  version emacs, it can find those

--
   The designer knows he was arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add,but when there is no longer anything to take away

* Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
@ 2007-12-15  4:28 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.5054.1197784667.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2007-12-15  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've learned that anti-aliased fonts don't appear to be supported yet
> on 22, and I've also found that compiling the unicode branch out of
> CVS enables this support.
>
> I've done the compile and it works great...fonts look wonderful.
> However, the problem is the custom compiled emacs doesn't find all my
> pre-installed Debian packaged modes and utilities, like ecb,
> ruby-mode, etc.
>
> It appears that the dpkg's put the various installed files in:
>
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp
>
> Then, when I start emacs, these are already there, loaded.
>
> Can someone tell me what configurations settings I need to do to make
> these work with my custom compile? Is it a ./configure option? Is it
> some central emacs config file? Can I inspect where my custom compile
> is looking for modes easily through emacs itself?

`C-h v load-path RET' will show you the directories that Emacs searches
for files to load.  Try `C-h r' to browse the Emacs manual, then `i load
RET' to find out the details about how that works.

Here's what you should put in your .emacs file to allow the packages
from Debian to be found:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp" t)
(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" t)

> Sorry for so many questions...I'm learning quickly, but there's a lot to learn!

Enjoy!

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2007-12-17  9:05 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-12-17  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"John Wells" <lists@sourceillustrated.com> writes:

> Guys,
>
> I've learned that anti-aliased fonts don't appear to be supported yet
> on 22, and I've also found that compiling the unicode branch out of
> CVS enables this support.
>
> I've done the compile and it works great...fonts look wonderful.
> However, the problem is the custom compiled emacs doesn't find all my
> pre-installed Debian packaged modes and utilities, like ecb,
> ruby-mode, etc.
>
> It appears that the dpkg's put the various installed files in:
>
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp
>
> Then, when I start emacs, these are already there, loaded.
>
> Can someone tell me what configurations settings I need to do to make
> these work with my custom compile? Is it a ./configure option? Is it
> some central emacs config file? Can I inspect where my custom compile
> is looking for modes easily through emacs itself?

There are a number of things you need to do to get a CVS build of emacs
work with debian managed elisp packages. The debian version of emacs 22 is
modified to handle this and you will need to do the same sort of
modifications to make this work with your CVS version.

The best way to do this is grep the files in the lisp directory of the
debian version of emacs 22 for the string 'debian' (make it case
insensitive).

I can't remember all the files that are modified, but it does include
startup.el and I think paths.el and possibly some others.

You will also need to make the site-lisp of the installed CVS version
(i.e. probably /usr/local/share/emacs/23.x/site-lisp a symbolic link to
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp.

Note also that when emacs is built, aI think it dumps an image of itself to
speedup startup. This means you cannot just modify startup.el and have it
work. You need to modify it and then build emacs.

At one stage there were some emacs22 snapshot packages being done - maybe
google to see if you can find someone else who has done all the hard work

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
@ 2007-12-17 10:04   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-12-17 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Here you will find how to get good packages for emacs-cvs:
http://peadrop.com/blog/category/computers/emacs/
--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
@ 2007-12-17 14:47   ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2007-12-17 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-12-17 10:05 +0100, Tim X wrote:

> There are a number of things you need to do to get a CVS build of emacs
> work with debian managed elisp packages. The debian version of emacs 22 is
> modified to handle this and you will need to do the same sort of
> modifications to make this work with your CVS version.
>
> The best way to do this is grep the files in the lisp directory of the
> debian version of emacs 22 for the string 'debian' (make it case
> insensitive).

Not really.  The best way to do this is to download and unpack the
Debian emacs22 source package, e.g. with "apt-get source emacs22".
There you can find all the patches in the debian/patches subdirectory.

> I can't remember all the files that are modified, but it does include
> startup.el and I think paths.el and possibly some others.
>
> You will also need to make the site-lisp of the installed CVS version
> (i.e. probably /usr/local/share/emacs/23.x/site-lisp a symbolic link to
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp.

Could you elaborate on that?  The Debian packaged Emacsen look for site-lisp
directories both under /usr/share and under /usr/local/share.

> Note also that when emacs is built, aI think it dumps an image of itself to
> speedup startup. This means you cannot just modify startup.el and have it
> work. You need to modify it and then build emacs.

Correct.

> At one stage there were some emacs22 snapshot packages being done - maybe
> google to see if you can find someone else who has done all the hard work

Snapshots of the Emacs trunk are still built weekly by Romain Francoise,
see http://emacs.orebokech.com/.  That's probably the best starting
point for building a debianized unicode-2 Emacs.

Sven

@ 2007-12-18  7:09   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-12-18  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> John Wells wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I've learned that anti-aliased fonts don't appear to be supported yet
>> on 22, and I've also found that compiling the unicode branch out of
>> CVS enables this support.
>>
>> I've done the compile and it works great...fonts look wonderful.
>> However, the problem is the custom compiled emacs doesn't find all my
>> pre-installed Debian packaged modes and utilities, like ecb,
>> ruby-mode, etc.
>>
>> It appears that the dpkg's put the various installed files in:
>>
>> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp
>>
>> Then, when I start emacs, these are already there, loaded.
>>
>> Can someone tell me what configurations settings I need to do to make
>> these work with my custom compile? Is it a ./configure option? Is it
>> some central emacs config file? Can I inspect where my custom compile
>> is looking for modes easily through emacs itself?
>
> `C-h v load-path RET' will show you the directories that Emacs searches
> for files to load.  Try `C-h r' to browse the Emacs manual, then `i load
> RET' to find out the details about how that works.
>
> Here's what you should put in your .emacs file to allow the packages
> from Debian to be found:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp" t)
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" t)
>
>> Sorry for so many questions...I'm learning quickly, but there's a lot to learn!
>
> Enjoy!
>
> --

You also need to modify startup.el so that it loads the config stuff in
/etc/emacs/site-start.d and /etc/emacs22/site-start.d, otherwise, emacs
will find the packages, but not the necessary stuff done to config/ and set
them up.

Tim

--

@ 2007-12-18 11:46     ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2007-12-18 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> John Wells wrote:
>>> Guys,
>>>
>>> I've learned that anti-aliased fonts don't appear to be supported yet
>>> on 22, and I've also found that compiling the unicode branch out of
>>> CVS enables this support.
>>>
>>> I've done the compile and it works great...fonts look wonderful.
>>> However, the problem is the custom compiled emacs doesn't find all my
>>> pre-installed Debian packaged modes and utilities, like ecb,
>>> ruby-mode, etc.
>>>
>>> It appears that the dpkg's put the various installed files in:
>>>
>>> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
>>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp
>>>
>>> Then, when I start emacs, these are already there, loaded.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me what configurations settings I need to do to make
>>> these work with my custom compile? Is it a ./configure option? Is it
>>> some central emacs config file? Can I inspect where my custom compile
>>> is looking for modes easily through emacs itself?
>>
>> `C-h v load-path RET' will show you the directories that Emacs searches
>> for files to load.  Try `C-h r' to browse the Emacs manual, then `i load
>> RET' to find out the details about how that works.
>>
>> Here's what you should put in your .emacs file to allow the packages
>> from Debian to be found:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp" t)
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" t)
>>
>>> Sorry for so many questions...I'm learning quickly, but there's a lot to learn!
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> --
>
> You also need to modify startup.el so that it loads the config stuff in
> /etc/emacs/site-start.d and /etc/emacs22/site-start.d, otherwise, emacs
> will find the packages, but not the necessary stuff done to config/ and set
> them up.
>
> Tim

Do the snapshot repositories here include the aa?

http://emacs.orebokech.com/

My emacs fonts certainly look good but maybe I'm just too used to it
without aa?!? It's marked as "emacs 23" anyway and according to here
http://g33k.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/gnu-emacs-with-xft-goodness/
the unicode branch was to become emacs 23.

* Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
@ 2007-12-19  7:26     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-12-19  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> On 2007-12-17 10:05 +0100, Tim X wrote:
>
>> There are a number of things you need to do to get a CVS build of emacs
>> work with debian managed elisp packages. The debian version of emacs 22 is
>> modified to handle this and you will need to do the same sort of
>> modifications to make this work with your CVS version.
>>
>> The best way to do this is grep the files in the lisp directory of the
>> debian version of emacs 22 for the string 'debian' (make it case
>> insensitive).
>
> Not really.  The best way to do this is to download and unpack the
> Debian emacs22 source package, e.g. with "apt-get source emacs22".
> There you can find all the patches in the debian/patches subdirectory.

True. however, that will give you all the patches and not just the stuff
relating to paths and loading debianised el packages. To what extent that
is an issue depends on what you want to do (and maybe how easily you can
grok the patches).

>> I can't remember all the files that are modified, but it does include
>> startup.el and I think paths.el and possibly some others.
>>
>> You will also need to make the site-lisp of the installed CVS version
>> (i.e. probably /usr/local/share/emacs/23.x/site-lisp a symbolic link to
>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp.
>
> Could you elaborate on that?  The Debian packaged Emacsen look for site-lisp
> directories both under /usr/share and under /usr/local/share.

When you install emacs, it puts some files/dirs under
<prefix>/emacs/<version>, such as a site-lisp dir. The debian emacs 22 puts
this under /usr/share/emacs/22.1 and CVS will put this uner
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.x. The debian emacs22 site-lisp is a symbolic
link to /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp. To ensure you get this directory, you
can remove the site-lisp created in the CVS install and replace it with a
symbolic link to /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp or
/usr/share/emacs/22.1/site-lisp.

>> Note also that when emacs is built, aI think it dumps an image of itself to
>> speedup startup. This means you cannot just modify startup.el and have it
>> work. You need to modify it and then build emacs.
>
> Correct.
>
>> At one stage there were some emacs22 snapshot packages being done - maybe
>> google to see if you can find someone else who has done all the hard work
>
> Snapshots of the Emacs trunk are still built weekly by Romain Francoise,
> see http://emacs.orebokech.com/.  That's probably the best starting
> point for building a debianized unicode-2 Emacs.

Agreed. These are the packages I used at one stage. However, I did run into
some problems with these packages and others I have installed from
sources.Romain and I tried to work out what the problem was, but never
did. The problem did not exist with my own CVS build and the type of mods
I've outlined above. However, Romain does an excellent job and my comment
is not a criticism - for those starting out wanting the latest CVS snapshot
and full Debian integration, I recommend his packages. The problem I
encountered is something weird relating to the large specialised package I
need to use, which for some reason triggers some bug when I use his
package, but not when I use the official Debian emacs 22 or my own CVS version.

Tim

--

@ 2007-12-19  7:31       ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-12-19  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
>> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

>>> `C-h v load-path RET' will show you the directories that Emacs searches
>>> for files to load.  Try `C-h r' to browse the Emacs manual, then `i load
>>> RET' to find out the details about how that works.
>>>
>>> Here's what you should put in your .emacs file to allow the packages
>>> from Debian to be found:
>>>
>>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp" t)
>>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" t)

>>> Enjoy!
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> You also need to modify startup.el so that it loads the config stuff in
>> /etc/emacs/site-start.d and /etc/emacs22/site-start.d, otherwise, emacs
>> will find the packages, but not the necessary stuff done to config/ and set
>> them up.
>>
>> Tim
>
> Do the snapshot repositories here include the aa?
>
> http://emacs.orebokech.com/
>

> My emacs fonts certainly look good but maybe I'm just too used to it
> without aa?!? It's marked as "emacs 23" anyway and according to here
> http://g33k.wordpress.com/2006/11/06/gnu-emacs-with-xft-goodness/
> the unicode branch was to become emacs 23.

I haven't used romain's packages since the official debian emacs22 was
released (see other post). However, I seem to remember seeing someone state
that they do.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au