all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copying file from one dired buffer to another
@ 2008-06-05 14:05 Terrence Brannon
From: Terrence Brannon @ 2008-06-05 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If I have marked two files in a dired buffer and then hit "C" to copy
the files, normally I have to specify the target path.

But what if the only other buffer window is a dired buffer that is the
target directory?

* Re: copying file from one dired buffer to another
@ 2008-06-05 15:55 ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2008-06-05 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

;;;======================================================================
;;; Let dired guess the target directory
;; If another dired window is visible, use that as the target for
;; copy, move, etc
(setq dired-dwim-target t)

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: copying file from one dired buffer to another
@ 2008-06-05 23:25   ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-06-05 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Terrence Brannon wrote:
«If I have marked two files in a dired buffer and then hit "C" to copy
the files... But what if the only other buffer window is a dired
buffer that is the target directory?
»

Chris McMahan wrote:
«(setq dired-dwim-target t)»

Thanks guys! I've been wanting to do this since about 1998.

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: copying file from one dired buffer to another
@ 2008-06-06  2:25 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-06-06  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Terrence Brannon <metaperl@gmail.com> writes:

> If I have marked two files in a dired buffer and then hit "C" to copy
> the files, normally I have to specify the target path.
>
> But what if the only other buffer window is a dired buffer that is the
> target directory?

I just use the history mechanism. Hit the up arrow when prompted for the
path and you should get to the path of the other dired buffer. Once you
have done this, from memory, it will become the default when you try to
copy/move other files.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: copying file from one dired buffer to another
@ 2008-06-06 19:05 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-06-06 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Terrence Brannon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.06.2008 um 16:05 schrieb Terrence Brannon:

> But what if the only other buffer window is a dired buffer that is the
> target directory?

Then you still have to tell dired via dired-dwim-target, set to t,
that the other dired buffer is the buffer. Look into the documentation!

--
Greetings

   Pete

They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me.