I have no idea what's going on here, but it may be related to something else I recently noticed. My installed dir file in /usr/local/share/info contains lots of lines like the following scattered throughout the file (these lines are not in the dir file in the Emacs source directory): This is ../../info/eintr, produced by makeinfo version 4.11 from emacs-lisp-intro.texi. This is ../../info/sasl, produced by makeinfo version 4.11 from sasl.texi. This is ../../info/remember, produced by makeinfo version 4.11 from remember.texi. I don't know when these lines appeared, but I think it wasn't too long ago. Does anyone know what caused this? FWIW, the Makefile installs the Emacs Info files and dir in /usr/local/share/info, and I symlink these to /usr/local/info, but I've been doing that for a long time and I'm pretty sure the above lines are of more recent vintage.