In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.23 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of 2008-12-12 on escher 1. emacs -Q 2. C-h f declare-function RET 3. Click or type RET on the link `elisp(Declaring Functions)' at the end of the *Help* buffer, to visit the Elisp info file. ==> Emacs signals the error "byte-code: No such node or anchor: elisp(Declaring Functions)" and the *Help* buffer switches to an *info* buffer containing the raw text of /usr/local/info/emacs (not elisp!). This buffer is in Info-mode but it is wholely unpropertized and the header line is present but empty. This is completely reproducible. However, when I enable debug-on-error and repeat the above steps, it does not generate a backtrace, despite signalling the error. (Why? Is this a (different) bug?) But when I then immediately switch from the raw *info* buffer back to the *Help* buffer again and type RET on the link, I get another error, with the following backtrace (but only if I do not kill the *info* buffer):