all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
@ 2009-08-12 22:25 Horacio Suarez
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2009-08-12 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all:

Is there a way to search for any two consecutive uppercase characters? In example "PÉREZ" or "GONZÁLEZ"

I was looking in the manuals but I didn´t find it.

I want to make a macro that looks for a word all uppercase, go to the beggining of that word and Capitalize it. Unsing the words in the example: "Pérez" or "González".

Thankyou in advance.

--------------------
Horacio Suarez

* Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
       [not found] <mailman.4480.1250115925.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-12 22:38 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-08-12 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Horacio Suarez <horaciosuarez@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello all:
>
> Is there a way to search for any two consecutive uppercase characters? In example "PÉREZ" or
> "GONZÁLEZ"

Yes, this is difficult, because of the accented letters.  There is no
[:upper:] in emacs regular expressions.  It might be possible to build
a syntax table or something to identify uppercase letters including
accented ones, but AFAIK, there's nothing built in.  The simpliest
would be to prepare a regular expression explicitely listing all the
characters you'd want, something like:

          "\\<[A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]+\\>"

but in all generality, you'd miss a lot of other capital letters.

> I was looking in the manuals but I didn´t find it.
>
> I want to make a macro that looks for a word all uppercase, go to the beggining of that word and
> Capitalize it. Unsing the words in the example: "Pérez" or "González".

That's easier to do.  Just beware of the triple negation ;-)

(require 'cl)

(defun capitalize-uppercase-words (start end)
  (interactive "r")
  (goto-char start)
  (while (re-search-forward "\\<\\sw*\\>"  end t)
    (let ((word  (match-string 0))
          (start (match-beginning 0))
          (end   (match-end 0)))
      (unless (some (lambda (ch) (char/= ch (upcase ch))) word)
        (delete-region start end)
        (insert (capitalize word))))))

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
@ 2009-08-12 23:11   ` A.Politz
From: A.Politz @ 2009-08-12 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 13, 12:38 am, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> There is no
> [:upper:] in emacs regular expressions.

That' actually not true, as described here
(info "(elisp)Char Classes")

-ap

* Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
@ 2009-08-13 12:23   ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-08-13 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Horacio Suarez <horaciosuarez@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello all:
>>
>> Is there a way to search for any two consecutive uppercase characters? In example "PÉREZ" or
>> "GONZÁLEZ"
>
> Yes, this is difficult, because of the accented letters.  There is no
> [:upper:] in emacs regular expressions.  It might be possible to build
> a syntax table or something to identify uppercase letters including
> accented ones, but AFAIK, there's nothing built in.  The simpliest
> would be to prepare a regular expression explicitely listing all the
> characters you'd want, something like:
>
>           "\\<[A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]+\\>"

Isn't
C-u C-s   (aka isearch-forward-regexp)
[A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]\{2,\}
better?

here \{2,\}
means two (or more) of the preceding expression.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
@ 2009-08-13 13:09     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4515.1250173016.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-08-13 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Horacio Suarez <horaciosuarez@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hello all:
>>>
>>> Is there a way to search for any two consecutive uppercase characters? In example "PÉREZ" or
>>> "GONZÁLEZ"
>>
>> Yes, this is difficult, because of the accented letters.  There is no
>> [:upper:] in emacs regular expressions.  It might be possible to build
>> a syntax table or something to identify uppercase letters including
>> accented ones, but AFAIK, there's nothing built in.  The simpliest
>> would be to prepare a regular expression explicitely listing all the
>> characters you'd want, something like:
>>
>>           "\\<[A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]+\\>"
>>
> Isn't
> C-u C-s   (aka isearch-forward-regexp)
> [A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]\{2,\}
> better?

FSVO "better".

> here \{2,\}
> means two (or more) of the preceding expression.

They don't mean the same.
My expression means: words containing only uppercase letters.
Your expression means: any occurence of two or more consecutive uppercase letters.

Is 0x42AB   a word?  (I'd say no, it's a number in C syntax for hexadecimal).
Is NeXTstep a word?  (Yes, but it's not all uppercase).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* RE: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
@ 2009-08-13 14:13       ` Horacio Suarez
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4515.1250173016.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2009-08-13 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello:

Thankyou very much for yours answers.

Please excuse my ignorance but I dont know exactly how tu use the code.

I paste it in my .emacs file. To use I type M-x "capitalize-uppercase-words"

then appears a mesage: "The mark is not set now, so there is no region".

What shoul I do?

Thanks again

--------------------
Horacio Suarez

> From: pjb@informatimago.com
> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:09:31 +0200
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
>
> "Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> >> Yes, this is difficult, because of the accented letters.  There is no
> >> [:upper:] in emacs regular expressions.  It might be possible to build
> >> a syntax table or something to identify uppercase letters including
> >> accented ones, but AFAIK, there's nothing built in.  The simpliest
> >> would be to prepare a regular expression explicitely listing all the
> >> characters you'd want, something like:
> >>
> >>           "\\<[A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]+\\>"
> >>
> > Isn't
> > C-u C-s   (aka isearch-forward-regexp)
> > [A-ZÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÚÛÜÝÞ]\{2,\}
> > better?
>
> FSVO "better".
>
> > here \{2,\}
> > means two (or more) of the preceding expression.
>
> They don't mean the same.
> My expression means: words containing only uppercase letters.
> Your expression means: any occurence of two or more consecutive uppercase letters.
>
> Is 0x42AB   a word?  (I'd say no, it's a number in C syntax for hexadecimal).
> Is NeXTstep a word?  (Yes, but it's not all uppercase).
>

> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__

http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/products/photo-gallery-edit.aspx

* Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
@ 2009-08-13 17:24         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-13 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horacio Suarez; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.08.2009 um 16:13 schrieb Horacio Suarez:

> The mark is not set now, so there is no region

Mark the area in which you want to change the case of letters!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Upgraded, adj.:
	Didn't work the first time.

@ 2009-08-13 21:54         ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-08-13 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Horacio Suarez <horaciosuarez@hotmail.com> writes:
> Thankyou very much for yours answers.
>
> Please excuse my ignorance but I dont know exactly how tu use the code.
>
> I paste it in my .emacs file. To use I type M-x "capitalize-uppercase-words"
>
> then appears a mesage: "The mark is not set now, so there is no region".
>
> What shoul I do?

Depends on what you want.  You could modify the command so that it can
work without a region selected, or you could select a region to be
processed by capitalize-uppercase-words.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
@ 2009-08-14  3:50     ` doitian
From: doitian @ 2009-08-14  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 13, 7:11 am, "A.Politz" <poli...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 12:38 am, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>
> > There is no
> > [:upper:] in emacs regular expressions.
>
> That' actually not true, as described here
> (info "(elisp)Char Classes")
>
> -ap

Yes, [:upper:] is available. A common error is using it directly.
Indeed, it must be put in a char class like [[:upper:]].

The problem can be solved using query-replace-regexp

Search Pattern: \<[[:upper:]]\{2,\}\>
Replace:  \,(capitalize \&)

* RE: search for any two consecutive uppercase characters
@ 2009-08-15 12:01       ` Horacio Suarez
From: Horacio Suarez @ 2009-08-15 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs