I applied this to an elint error message. I was a bit confused by "Unable to find require'd library" until realizing it wanted the source, where I only had the .elc. I think I struck other errors from some of my macro expansions or something which I can't reproduce any more, but using error-message-string lets it show whatever went wrong. You'd be tempted to make it a display-warning or in the elint report buffer, instead of just a `message', so as not to lose it among other chattering. But that can be for another time ...