all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* IM chatting via emacs+jabber
@ 2010-07-22 16:53 Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-07-22 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I had a crazy idea, given that I love to write from emacs, it would be
great also to chat with people using that.

I use adium for many protocols, and both adium and emacs support jabber
(don't know how it is though).  I remember there was a way to create a
jabber server that bridges to other protocols.  And if I'm able to do
that I could connect from emacs to the jabber server!

Is that a stupid idea or someone is maybe doing it?

* Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber
@ 2010-07-22 16:58 ` Qiang Guo
From: Qiang Guo @ 2010-07-22 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Crotti

A good way to connect to a jabber server would be through
Bitlbee, which of course can be accessed from Emacs [1]

Good Luck~

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/?BitlBee

Qiang

* Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber
@ 2010-07-22 17:01 ` Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-07-22 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 7/22/10, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> I had a crazy idea, given that I love to write from emacs, it would be
> great also to chat with people using that.
>
> I use adium for many protocols, and both adium and emacs support jabber
> (don't know how it is though).  I remember there was a way to create a
> jabber server that bridges to other protocols.  And if I'm able to do
> that I could connect from emacs to the jabber server!
>
> Is that a stupid idea or someone is maybe doing it?

A totally crazy, stupid idea. Does
http://emacs-jabber.sourceforge.net/ help? I use it all the time for
gmail chat. Was that what you were asking?

* Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber
       [not found] <mailman.1.1279817613.28238.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-07-22 18:23 ` Udyant Wig
From: Udyant Wig @ 2010-07-22 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a crazy idea, given that I love to write from emacs, it would be
> great also to chat with people using that.
>
> I use adium for many protocols, and both adium and emacs support jabber
> (don't know how it is though).  I remember there was a way to create a
> jabber server that bridges to other protocols.  And if I'm able to do
> that I could connect from emacs to the jabber server!
>
> Is that a stupid idea or someone is maybe doing it?

As Gary mentioned, http://emacs-jabber.sourceforge.net, should be all
you need to use jabber inside Emacs and connect to multiple protocols.

Check out the EmacsWiki page on jabber as well.

Whichever XMPP server you use, make sure it supports the transports you
want.

I use jabber.el to connect to Google Talk and Yahoo! via a jabber server
in Emacs.

* Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber
@ 2010-07-24  1:08 ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-07-24  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Crotti; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a crazy idea, given that I love to write from emacs, it would be
> great also to chat with people using that.
>
> I use adium for many protocols, and both adium and emacs support jabber
> (don't know how it is though).  I remember there was a way to create a
> jabber server that bridges to other protocols.  And if I'm able to do
> that I could connect from emacs to the jabber server!
>
> Is that a stupid idea or someone is maybe doing it?
hi, not that crazy i think.

i personally use bitlbee with erc, although i never tried this it seems
pretty featurefull:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ELIM

cheers,
glauber

* Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber
@ 2010-07-24 11:52   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-07-24 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com> writes:

> hi, not that crazy i think.
>
> i personally use bitlbee with erc, although i never tried this it seems
> pretty featurefull:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ELIM
>
> cheers,
> glauber

Yes I'll give it a try..
But does that mean that I can also use all the plugins for pidgin
automatically then?
Or only the protocols listed there?
Thanks

* Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber
@ 2010-07-25 15:30   ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-07-25 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> i personally use bitlbee with erc, although i never tried this it seems
> pretty featurefull:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ELIM
>
> cheers,
> glauber

The first experiment went for elim, and it looks really nice, I can
connect and send messages, but for some reasons I don't see any other
people answers...

And also it's a bit annoying every time you want to send a message to do
\msg <buddy> ...
or "click" on it and select *send im*, it should open buffers for
conversation in my opinion

* Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber
@ 2010-08-15 17:24     ` Andrea Crotti
From: Andrea Crotti @ 2010-08-15 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If anyone is interested I finally went for bitlbee, it's really great
and powerful.
The server is trivial to configure and you can even use public servers..