Hi Starttls (STLS) is not working with pop3. There is a bug in current implementation. Current implementation sends STLS just after opening connection. As result connection hangs (pop3.el tries to read a greeting message after STLS, but all POP3 servers I tried does not send anything after successful negotiation). On other hand, ignoring server greeting leads to mistreating server greeting (+OK ) as successful response to STLS command. In this case negotiation starts too early (before reading real response to STLS). I've attached a patch which fixes the problem. The server greeting got read first (as with plain POP3) and only after receiving greeting STLS issued and TLS negotiation starts. I hope much this would be fixed in next minor release of emacs. Thanks!