Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Christopher Schmidt >> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 04:41:16 +0100 (BST) >> >> this patch adds the optional numeric prefix argument COUNT to >> Info-next-reference and Info-prev-reference. This argument makes the >> functions do The Right Thing, that is, repeat the functionality COUNT >> times. > > Thanks. Can you present a use case where this functionality is > needed? Specifically, I wonder how a user would know how many Next or > Prev nodes she needs to go to get to whatever she is looking for. ^^^^^ Uhm, Info-next-reference and Info-prev-reference navigate within the cross references in the current buffer. I think you mistake Info-next-reference (bound to ) with Info-forward-node (bound to ]). Pressing in combination with a prefix argument is just a lot easier, faster and less intrusive than the use of any regular movement commands or a repeated pressing of . A prefix argument that specifies the repeat count is also pretty consistent with most other movement commands, especially forward-button. To me, this is The Right Thing. At least this is what my subconscious, which takes over when I navigate within the first three nodes after pressing C-h i, told me. Here is an improved version of my patch that also handles negative prefix arguments correctly.