all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About "capabilities of server"
@ 2013-04-07 12:43 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-04-07 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In the doc string of `open-network-stream' and
`notifications-get-capabilities', "capabilities of server" are
mentioned.  What does it mean?  I have done RTFM and STFW, but I didn't
get some useful information.  Sorry if it's off-topic for Emacs.

--
Xue Fuqiao
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: About "capabilities of server"
@ 2013-04-07 13:02 ` Christopher Schmidt
       [not found]   ` <mailman.23712.1365342356.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2013-04-07 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:
> In the doc string of `open-network-stream' and
> `notifications-get-capabilities', "capabilities of server" are
> mentioned.  What does it mean?  I have done RTFM and STFW, but I didn't
> get some useful information.  Sorry if it's off-topic for Emacs.

Take a look RFC 1869, for example.

    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1869

        Christopher

* Re: About "capabilities of server"
@ 2013-04-07 13:45   ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]   ` <mailman.23712.1365342356.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-04-07 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Schmidt <christopher@ch.ristopher.com> writes:

> Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:
>> In the doc string of `open-network-stream' and
>> `notifications-get-capabilities', "capabilities of server" are
>> mentioned.  What does it mean?  I have done RTFM and STFW, but I didn't
>> get some useful information.  Sorry if it's off-topic for Emacs.
>
> Take a look RFC 1869, for example.
>
>     https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1869

This one is for SMTP servers. I doubt, it is related to
`open-network-stream' and `notifications-get-capabilities'.

Notification server capabilities are explained in
<https://developer.gnome.org/notification-spec/#protocol>.

>         Christopher

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: About "capabilities of server"
@ 2013-04-07 14:04     ` Christopher Schmidt
From: Christopher Schmidt @ 2013-04-07 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> This one is for SMTP servers. I doubt, it is related to
> `open-network-stream' and `notifications-get-capabilities'.

Xue's question does not target GNU Emacs.  He does not know what
server-side capabilities are.  I provided a reference to a protocol that
supports and exposes capabilities (aka extensions).

        Christopher

@ 2013-04-07 17:29     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2013-04-07 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.23712.1365342356.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

> Christopher Schmidt <christopher@ch.ristopher.com> writes:
>
> > Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> writes:
> >> In the doc string of `open-network-stream' and
> >> `notifications-get-capabilities', "capabilities of server" are
> >> mentioned.  What does it mean?  I have done RTFM and STFW, but I didn't
> >> get some useful information.  Sorry if it's off-topic for Emacs.
> >
> > Take a look RFC 1869, for example.
> >
> >     https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1869
>
> This one is for SMTP servers. I doubt, it is related to
> `open-network-stream' and `notifications-get-capabilities'.

It's related to open-network-stream. The capabilities-related options
are generic, intended to work with a variety of protocols.

The general idea is that many application protocols have optional
features, and a way for the client to ask the server "Which features do
you support?". This is what the Elisp documentation refers to as its
capabilities.  You specify the command used to get the list of
capabilities in the :cabability-command option.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: About "capabilities of server"
@ 2013-04-07 22:47       ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-04-07 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:29:28 -0400
Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> The general idea is that many application protocols have optional
> features, and a way for the client to ask the server "Which features
> do you support?". This is what the Elisp documentation refers to as
> its capabilities.

I see, thank you.