all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-10 17:28 acomber
From: acomber @ 2013-04-10 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I tried:

  (while (search-forward "\n")
     (insert "My text to insert")
  )

and tried using $ symbol.

Neither worked.

Is there a way to do this in elisp?

* Re: elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-10 17:36 ` Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-10 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acomber; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

If you want to do it interactively as a user, I would use
multiple-cursors.el (in MELPA,
https://github.com/magnars/multiple-cursors.el/).

Otherwise, don't know.

-Steven

@ 2013-04-10 17:39 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-04-10 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acomber; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

acomber [2013-04-10 10:28:29 -07:00] wrote:

> I tried:
>
>   (while (search-forward "\n")
>      (insert "My text to insert")
>   )

Try this instead:

    (while (re-search-forward "$" nil t)
      (insert "foo")
      (goto-char (1+ (point))))

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-10 17:42   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-04-10 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acomber; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen [2013-04-10 20:39:43 +03:00] wrote:

> Try this instead:
>
>     (while (re-search-forward "$" nil t)
>       (insert "foo")
>       (goto-char (1+ (point))))

Sorry, don't do that. It goes to infinite loop. I'll go studying it more
closely...

       [not found] <mailman.23893.1365614915.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-10 18:07 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-04-10 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

acomber <deedexy@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried:
>
>   (while (search-forward "\n")
>      (insert "My text to insert")
>   )
>
> and tried using $ symbol.

From LISP: You want `search-forward-regexp'.  Or better, use
`end-of-line'.

Interactively:

C-M-%           (query-replace-regexp)
$ RET
some text RET

Or indeed, multiple-cursors.el also does things like that very well.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-10 18:13 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-10 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

acomber <deedexy@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried:
>
>   (while (search-forward "\n")
>      (insert "My text to insert")
>   )

maybe:

#begin_src emacs-lisp
(defun insert-at-end-of-line (text)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (while (not (eobp))
    (end-of-line)
    (insert text)
    (next-line)))
#+end_src

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-11 10:23   ` acomber
From: acomber @ 2013-04-11 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

That works, thanks.  I implemented as a function which inserted literal text.

But I like the idea of being able to pass parameters to the function.  so I
tried this:

(defun insert-at-end-of-line (text)
  "convert word tbl to html tbl"
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (while (not (eobp))
    (end-of-line)
    (insert text)
    (next-line)
  )
)

But then in emacs how do I pass the text parameter?

I keep getting:

call-interactively: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (text) "convert word
tbl to html tbl" (interactive) (goto-char (point-min)) (while (not (eobp))
(end-of-line) (insert text) (next-line))), 0

Do I have to specify somewhere that function takes parameters???

* Re: elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-11 10:50     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-04-11 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.04.2013 12:23, schrieb acomber:
> That works, thanks.  I implemented as a function which inserted literal text.
>
> But I like the idea of being able to pass parameters to the function.  so I
> tried this:
>
> (defun insert-at-end-of-line (text)
>    "convert word tbl to html tbl"
>    (interactive)
>    (goto-char (point-min))
>    (while (not (eobp))
>      (end-of-line)
>      (insert text)
>      (next-line)
>    )
> )
>
> But then in emacs how do I pass the text parameter?
>
> I keep getting:
>
> call-interactively: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (text) "convert word
> tbl to html tbl" (interactive) (goto-char (point-min)) (while (not (eobp))
> (end-of-line) (insert text) (next-line))), 0
>
> Do I have to specify somewhere that function takes parameters???
>

> --

that's probably not the best way to do it, just to play on,
fill the text at the (invisible) prompt in the minibuffer

(defun insert-at-end-of-line (text)
   "convert word tbl to html tbl"
   (interactive "*M")
   (goto-char (point-min))
   (while (not (eobp))
     (end-of-line)
     (insert text)
     (forward-line 1)))

BTW use forward-line in programs, as next-line is designed for interactive use.

* Re: elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-11 11:01     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-04-11 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Am 11.04.2013 12:23, schrieb acomber:
> That works, thanks.  I implemented as a function which inserted literal text.

Interactively just do

M-x query-replace-regexp RET $ RET YOUR-INSERT-TEXT RET

Andreas

* Re: elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-11 11:32     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-11 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

acomber <deedexy@gmail.com> writes:

> (defun insert-at-end-of-line (text)
>   "convert word tbl to html tbl"
>   (interactive)
>   (goto-char (point-min))
>   (while (not (eobp))
>     (end-of-line)
>     (insert text)
>     (next-line)
>   )
> )
>
> But then in emacs how do I pass the text parameter?

Yes, sorry, I used it with (setq text "hello world") in the scratch
buffer and forgot to account for user input.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: elisp how to insert text at end of each line
@ 2013-04-11 14:02       ` acomber
From: acomber @ 2013-04-11 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Don't know if its useful but as a result of learning from this forum, I
implemented like this:

(defun do-cols (text)
  (goto-char (point-min))
     (while (search-forward "\t" nil t)
        (replace-match text)
     )
)

(defun do-rows (text)
  "convert word tbl to html tbl"
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (while (not (eobp))
    (end-of-line)
    (insert text)
    (forward-line)
  )
)

(defun do-table ()
  "convert word tbl to html tbl"
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (insert "
")
  (insert "
")
  (insert "	")
  (do-cols "	")
  (do-rows "
")
  (insert "")
  (insert "")
  (insert "
")
)

It’s probably the naffest lisp function ever, but it works for me.

It requires the only text in the buffer to be the table data and only works
on a single table.