all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* el-get gnuplot-mode.rcp won't compile
@ 2013-08-10 16:02 Andreas
From: Andreas @ 2013-08-10 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello mailing list,

First time poster here.
I've run in to some problems when using el-get.
I tried to update the gnuplot-mode package and now the downloaded git repo
won't compile and I am hoping to get some help. I'm using the recipie from
el-get master.

When el-get downloads and tries to compile gnuplot-mode it exits with the
following error:

CDPATH="${ZSH_VERSION+.}:" && cd . && /bin/bash
/home/andreas/.emacs.d/el-get/gnuplot-mode/missing aclocal-1.13
/home/andreas/.emacs.d/el-get/gnuplot-mode/missing: line 81: aclocal-1.13:
command not found
WARNING: 'aclocal-1.13' is missing on your system.
         You should only need it if you modified 'acinclude.m4' or
         'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.
         The 'aclocal' program is part of the GNU Automake package:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake>
         It also requires GNU Autoconf, GNU m4 and Perl in order to run:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf>
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/>
         <http://www.perl.org/>
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 127

I looked it up and I have figured out that in the gnuplot-mode repo I can
run the commands:
$ aclocal && autoconf
If I run the make:
$ make EMACS=/usr/bin/emacs24 gnuplot.elc gnuplot-gui.elc
 cd . && /bin/bash /home/andreas/.emacs.d/el-get/gnuplot-mode/missing
automake-1.13 --foreign
/home/andreas/.emacs.d/el-get/gnuplot-mode/missing: line 81: automake-1.13:
command not found
WARNING: 'automake-1.13' is missing on your system.
         You should only need it if you modified 'Makefile.am' or
         'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.
         The 'automake' program is part of the GNU Automake package:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake>
         It also requires GNU Autoconf, GNU m4 and Perl in order to run:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf>
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/>
         <http://www.perl.org/>
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

Then I need to run
$ automake --add-missing
to get 'elisp-comp'

now I can run automake and the make command
$ make EMACS=/usr/bin/emacs24 gnuplot.elc gnuplot-gui.elc
and gnuplot-mode compiles.

However, this has no effect on el-get as it has not recognizing this
internally in the .status file or .loaddef file.
I would like to avoid this whole mess but I'm not sure how. Is there
something I could add to the recipe file gnuplot-mode.rcp to automate this.
My emacs-lisp skills would be rated as noob.
I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 and the apt version of emacs 24.2.1

Would be grateful for some pointers.
Sources for where I found help:
https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~hdpatel/uwhtml/misc/systemc-ubuntu.html

* Re: el-get gnuplot-mode.rcp won't compile
@ 2013-08-10 20:14 ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2013-08-10 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Andreas,

Some thing very strange going on with autotools which I don't understand.

Anyway, as you already pointed out, running "automake --add-missing" command
solves the problem, you can simply ask el-get to run that command for you.

place the following snippet in your init.el

(setq my-custom-packages
      '((:name gnuplot-mode
               :description "Drive gnuplot from within emacs"
               :type github
               :pkgname "bruceravel/gnuplot-mode"
               :build `(("aclocal && autoconf")
                        ("./configure")
                        ("automake --add-missing")
                        ("make" ,(concat "EMACS=" el-get-emacs)
                         "gnuplot.elc" "gnuplot-gui.elc"))
               :info "gnuplot.info")
        ;; other custom packages goes here.

        ))
(el-get 'sync (mapcar 'el-get-source-name my-custom-packages))

HTH,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
YYR

* Re: el-get gnuplot-mode.rcp won't compile
@ 2013-08-13 16:45 Andreas
From: Andreas @ 2013-08-13 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Yagnesh,

Thanks for your response and sorry for the late reply.
Just implemented your fix and it worked like a charm.
I'm glad I finally got the courage to post to the mailing list ;).

I'm not sure what the issue with the autotools are as you said. I compile
my own gnuplot and was first thinking that it might be related, that some
libraries was used or something like that, but after a recompilation
nothing changed.

Anyway, thanks again!

regards
--