all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* transition to package.el
@ 2013-08-26 17:30 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2013-08-26 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have emacs 24.3 on my Mac and AIX hosts.  One .el file I currently have uses "assoc" which is obsolete so I need to update that file.  I thought it might be good to start transitioning over to using packages.

I currently have a big git repository for .emacs.d (that happens to be public on Github) that I pull from and push to so I can move to a new host quickly and I can keep all the various accounts on various hosts more or less synced up.  Many of the things in this repository are things I've downloaded... things which are now available as packages.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making this transition?  I don't see any blog posts on the topic.

One question is if you would suggest checking in the packages downloaded into the git repository or have git ignore them?  I can see arguments both ways.  I'm wondering what other have found to work for them.

Thank you for your time,
Perry