all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* major mode for fpscalc + some meta
@ 2013-09-22 14:45 Emanuel Berg
       [not found] ` <mailman.2705.1379874790.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-09-22 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm giving this group a third shot. I have a new
strategy for not getting into flame wars. That's meta,
so I won't go into details, but trust me, I'll not get
into another flame war as true as the Earth makes one
revolution around the sun in 365.25 days.

Another side note: I changed my mind, Juanma was right
in saying that C++ in all honesty cannot be described as
"straightforward".

OK, not dwelling on the past ...

I wanted to share this with you: I made a major mode for
the tool fpscalc. fpscalc (fps = fixed priority
schedulability) is a tool that computes response times
and workloads for tasks and real time systems, in order
to do schedulability analysis (i.e., will all tasks
complete prior to their deadlines?).

Have a look at the dump [1] to get a feeling what it is
all about.

The mode includes:

1. Very ambitious font lock - looks like a circus at
   first, but once you get used to it, it is very
   useful. (I didn't use the font-lock faces because I
   want everything to be configurable on a
   per-mode/-application/whatever basis.)
2. Comment and uncomment with M-;
3. Indentation (very easy - I just used the C mode ditto
   - but nonetheless, it is there)
4. A defun ("compute") to run the tool from a script
   (shown in Emacs), and then have Emacs show the result
   of fpscalc crunching that script.

I didn't had any "professional" material to guide me, so
I just made it work as I always do, by being active,
making it work by outworking the opposition. Therefore,
there might be some formal stuff missing to make it a
"real" major mode. If so, please make me aware of it.

Unlike all my other Emacs hacking, this is something
that will be used not just by me but by dedicated,
serious people, so I would be very appreciative if you
gave me feedback.

Note on the dump: It turns out, fbcat produces PPM
files, and not PNG. I used ppmtobmp to make a BMP of
it. It really doesn't matter; I say it just so you won't
be confused by the inconsistency of the filename and the
shell command extensions.

[1 - dump]
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/fpscalc_mode.bmp

[source]
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/fpscalc.el

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: major mode for fpscalc + some meta
@ 2013-09-22 18:32 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.2705.1379874790.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-09-22 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I wanted to share this with you: I made a major mode for
> the tool fpscalc. fpscalc (fps = fixed priority

There's gnu.emacs.sources specifically for these kinds of announcements.

> serious people, so I would be very appreciative if you
> gave me feedback.

See below,

        Stefan

> ;;;; fpscalc-mode

Try C-u M-x checkdoc-current-buffer RET.  It'll help you follow some of
the usual conventions.

> (defface fpscalc-program-parts-face
>   '((t :background "black" :foreground "magenta" :bold t))
>   "The words declarations, initialise, semaphores, and formulas."
>   :group 'fpscalc-faces)

You can remove the "-face" suffix.
You need to (defgroup 'fpscalc-faces ...) first.
After that, you can remove the ":group 'fpscalc-faces".

> (defvar fpscalc-program-parts-face 'fpscalc-program-parts-face)

Please throw this away.  It just helps to confuse people.

> (defface fpscalc-comment-face
>   '((t :background "black" :foreground "blue" :bold t))
>   "The comment sign (!) as well as everything to its right."
>   :group 'fpscalc-faces)

I can live with new faces for some perceived customizability need, but
don't ignore the user's pre-existing preferences.  I.e. make your faces
inherit from the corresponding font-lock face, so that users can
customize their faces specifically for your mode, but they don't have to.

> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist  '("\\.fps\\'"  . fpscalc-mode))

Good.  You probably want to add a ";;;###autoload" cookie in front, in
case you want to distribute your file via ELPA, for example.

> (setq fpscalc-keywords

`setq' is for modifying the value of a previously declare variable.
Use `defvar' here, please.

> (define-derived-mode fpscalc-mode c-mode
>   "fpscalc-mode is a major mode for the tool fpscalc."

The third arg of define-derived-mode is not the docstring but the mode's name.

>   (setq mode-name "fpscalc")

Once you fix the previous problem, you can get rid of this.

>   (set-variable 'line-number-mode t t)

Why?  It's enabled by default anyway, and I can't think of any reason
why fpscalc-mode would need to enable it even if the user decided to
disable it globally.

Oh, and don't call `set-variable' from Elisp.  It's a command meant for M-x.

>   (abbrev-mode 0) ; disable (gets it from the C mode)

Why should you disable it?  I think what you want to do here instead is
to get rid of c-mode's abbreviations (i.e. setup fpscalc-mode's own
abbrev-table).

>   :syntax-table fpscalc-syntax-table

This has no effect, because it would only have an effect if it were
right after the docstring.  In any case, the right way to do it is to
name your syntax-table `fpscalc-mode-syntax-table' and to place its
definition before define-derived-mode.

>   (define-key fpscalc-mode-map [remap comment-dwim] 'fpscalc-comment-dwim)

Same for fpscalc-mode-map: define it once and for all before the
define-derived-mode.

> (defun fpscalc-comment-dwim (cmt)
>   (interactive "*P")
>   (require 'newcomment)
>   (let ((comment-start "!") (comment-end ""))
>     (comment-dwim cmt) ))

Don't do that.  Just do

   (set (make-local-variable 'comment-start) "!")
   (set (make-local-variable 'comment-end) "")

in fpscalc-mode.

> (defvar fpscalc-syntax-table nil "The syntax table for `fpscalc-mode'.")
> (setq fpscalc-syntax-table
>   (let ((syntax-table (make-syntax-table)))
>     (modify-syntax-entry ?! "< b" syntax-table)
>     (modify-syntax-entry ?\n "> b" syntax-table)
>     syntax-table) )

Merge the two:

(defvar fpscalc-mode-syntax-table
  (let ((syntax-table (make-syntax-table)))
    (modify-syntax-entry ?! "< b" syntax-table)
    (modify-syntax-entry ?\n "> b" syntax-table)
    syntax-table)
  "The syntax table for `fpscalc-mode'.")

> (defconst *path-of-fpscalc* "/home/incal/dvk/rt/fpscalc/fpscalc")

That should probably be turned into

  (defcustom fpscalc-command-name "fpscalc"
    "Name of the `fpscalc' executable to use."
    :type 'file)

> (defun compute ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let*((src (buffer-file-name))
>         (dst (format "%s_fallout.txt" src)))
>     (shell-command (format "%s < %s > %s" *path-of-fpscalc* src dst))

If `src' includes funny characters (like semi-colons, dollars, ...),
this will not do what you intended: you should pass `src' and `dst'
through shell-quote-argument.

>     (find-file dst) ))

You might prefer (display-buffer (find-file-noselect dst)), so that it
doesn't always replace the source buffer, but can display the output in
another window.

* Re: major mode for fpscalc + some meta
@ 2013-09-22 23:07   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-22 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Stefan,

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 02:32:33PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > serious people, so I would be very appreciative if you
> > gave me feedback.
>
> See below,

I found your comments very instructive.  Thank you!

--
Suvayu

@ 2013-09-22 23:20   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2719.1379895349.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-09-22 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> There's gnu.emacs.sources specifically for these kinds
> of announcements.

No, I think this was the perfect place to post :)

> See below,

*Thanks a zillion*! This is *exactly* the way to do it!

Here is the new source:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/fpscalc.el

and a dump:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/fpscalc.bmp

and a readme:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/readme.txt

This was the most amazing thing since "Jurassic Park"!
(But if you see something else, tell me, of course.)

--

@ 2013-09-23  0:15     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2719.1379895349.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-09-23  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (But if you see something else, tell me, of course.)

define-abbrev-table should be at the top-level, not within fpscalc-mode.
You mis-copied my code:

  (display-buffer (find-file-noselect dst))
not
  (display-buffer (find-file dst))

and of course, this won't work any more when src and dst include
funny characters: you want to pass to `find-file(-noselect)' the
non-quoted file.

@ 2013-09-23  1:11       ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2723.1379905744.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-09-23  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> define-abbrev-table should be at the top-level, not
> within fpscalc-mode.
>
> and of course, this won't work any more when src and
> dst include funny characters: you want to pass to
> `find-file(-noselect)' the non-quoted file.

I updated the source:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/fpscalc.el

Now it looks like this:

(defun compute ()
  "Run the system defined in the current buffer (i.e.,
an .fps file), save the fallout in a file, and show that
file in a new buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let*((src  (buffer-file-name))
        (dst  (format "%s_fallout.txt" src))
        (srcq (shell-quote-argument src))
        (dstq (shell-quote-argument dst)) )
    (shell-command
     (format "%s < %s > %s" fpscalc-command-name srcq dstq))
    (display-buffer (find-file-noselect dst)) ))

(add-hook 'fpscalc-mode-hook 'init-fpscalc-abbrevs)

(defun init-fpscalc-abbrevs ()
  (define-abbrev-table 'fpscalc-mode-abbrev-table
    '(("init" "initialise")
      ("prio" "priority") )))

--

@ 2013-09-23  3:08         ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]         ` <mailman.2723.1379905744.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-09-23  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (add-hook 'fpscalc-mode-hook 'init-fpscalc-abbrevs)

> (defun init-fpscalc-abbrevs ()
>   (define-abbrev-table 'fpscalc-mode-abbrev-table
>     '(("init" "initialise")
>       ("prio" "priority") )))

Why don't you want to put define-abbrev-table needs at top-level as just
the code below, somewhere before the define-derived-mode definition?

   (define-abbrev-table 'fpscalc-mode-abbrev-table
     '(("init" "initialise")
       ("prio" "priority") ))

-- Stefan

@ 2013-09-23  3:23           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-09-23  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Why don't you want to put define-abbrev-table needs at
> top-level as just the code below, somewhere before the
> define-derived-mode definition?
>
>    (define-abbrev-table 'fpscalc-mode-abbrev-table
>      '(("init" "initialise")
>        ("prio" "priority") ))

Because that doesn't work.

--

@ 2013-09-23  3:25             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-09-23  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Why don't you want to put define-abbrev-table needs at
>> top-level as just the code below, somewhere before the
>> define-derived-mode definition?
>>
>>    (define-abbrev-table 'fpscalc-mode-abbrev-table
>>      '(("init" "initialise")
>>        ("prio" "priority") ))
>
> Because that doesn't work.

Aha, now I see. I had (kill-all-abbrevs) somewhere else.

--

@ 2013-10-02  0:19           ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3228.1380675623.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OK, I hope to close the book on this with this last fix.

First, to get indentation, I derived the mode from the C
mode. Because the syntaxes are so close, I thought that
would work. And it did.... except for the M-; "!"
comment. Such comments could be inserted on M-;, but not
*removed*, instead, I got another comment layer, just
like the nested quotes in messages.

Also, comments broke indentation.

So, I dropped the C mode, and the comments worked both
ways. Last, I used some material I found on the web to
get indentation. (The code below is very close to what I
found.)

(You have to have indentation. "May I indent your code?"
is still the worst hacker insult in the book, a book
that by now has quite a heft... Seriously, it stinks
without it: half the time you just match lines.)

I include the new code below, if you don't care to get
the real file.

I wonder... I got lots of help on this. Personally, I
never care for credit because I always use whatever I
want, and I expect everyone else to do the same with my
stuff. But, if you guys want me to mention "thanks to
the GEH people" I'll add it, of course.

Last, I made an example in LaTeX how to create diagrams,
that can be used in connection with fpscalc, diagrams
such as this:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/cis/1-5.pdf

The LaTeX source, and more on this:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/cis/

(I write this, as this post might by Googled for
fpscalc, and lots of poor students, held at starvation
point by the pitch-dark computer industry, might benefit
from both the Emacs mode, and the diagram LaTeX skeleton
code.)

OK, back to the Emacs mode:

All material, including screenshots and readmes:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/

The mode code:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/fpscalc.el

Example data to edit/run:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/fps/demo.fps

The new code:

(define-generic-mode
    'fpscalc-mode
  '("!")
  nil
  fpscalc-keywords
  '("\\.fps\\'")
  '((lambda ()
      (progn
        (setq indent-line-function 'fpscalc-indent-line)
        (local-set-key "\C-c\C-c" 'compute) )))
  "Major mode for .fps files and the fpscalc tool.")

  (defvar fpscalc-mode-map
  (let ((the-map (make-keymap)))
    (define-key the-map (kbd "TAB") 'newline-and-indent)
    the-map)
  "Keymap for the fpscalc major mode.")

  (defun fpscalc-indent-line ()
  "Indentation function."
  (interactive)
  (beginning-of-line)
  (if (bobp) (indent-line-to 0)
    (let ((not-indented t)
          (cur-indent   0)
          (indent-unit  2))
      (if (looking-at "^[ \t]*}")
          (progn
            (save-excursion
              (forward-line -1)
              (setq cur-indent (- (current-indentation) indent-unit) ))
            (if (< cur-indent 0) (setq cur-indent 0)) )
        (save-excursion
          (while not-indented
            (forward-line -1)
            (if (looking-at "^[ \t]*}")
                (progn
                  (setq cur-indent (current-indentation))
                  (setq not-indented nil) )
              (if (looking-at "^[ \t]*\\(system\\|declarations\\|semaphores\\|initialise\\|formulas\\)")
                  (progn
                    (setq cur-indent (+ (current-indentation) indent-unit))
                    (setq not-indented nil) )
                (if (bobp) (setq not-indented nil) ))))))
      (indent-line-to cur-indent) )))

--

@ 2013-10-02  0:58             ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3228.1380675623.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-02  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> (define-generic-mode

Please don't.  Use define-derived-mode instead: much cleaner and a lot
more standard.

@ 2013-10-02  1:05               ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.3233.1380679539.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Please don't.  Use define-derived-mode instead: much
> cleaner and a lot more standard.

I used that when I derived from the C mode, but I don't
anymore. Can it be used without deriving? How is that
cleaner? Or should I derive from some more basic mode?
You have to make a case here.

--

@ 2013-10-02  2:05                 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.3233.1380679539.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-02  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I used that when I derived from the C mode, but I don't
> anymore. Can it be used without deriving? How is that
> cleaner? Or should I derive from some more basic mode?

You can derive from prog-mode or fundamental-mode.

@ 2013-10-02  2:10                   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-02  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I used that when I derived from the C mode, but I
>> don't anymore. Can it be used without deriving? How
>> is that cleaner? Or should I derive from some more
>> basic mode?
>
> You can derive from prog-mode or fundamental-mode.

I never heard of prog-mode, and I can't get to it with
M-x prog-mode, if indeed I have it.

But more to the point: is there anything in prog-mode,
or fundamental-mode, that I want?

--

@ 2013-10-02  4:07                     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-10-02  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
> Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 04:10:59 +0200
>
> I never heard of prog-mode, and I can't get to it with
> M-x prog-mode, if indeed I have it.

It was introduced in Emacs 24.1, so if yours is older, you indeed
don't have it.