all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* two question about sql-mode
@ 2013-11-05 12:53 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2013-11-05 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
I've two questions about the sql mode.
The first one is that onn my linux box I've Oracle SQL Developer, but
not sqlplus, and when I try to connect to an oracle database but of
course I got a "no sqlplus found" error, and therefore I would like to
know if it is possible to use the sqldeveloper as intermediate library
to connect thru Emacs, and if someone can point me to the right
configuration.

The second is about PostgreSQL: if I get it right it seems that C-c
C-c (send-paragraph) works only for the sqli buffer, that is for
Oracle. Is there any way to use something similar via libpq?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: two question about sql-mode
       [not found] <mailman.5336.1383656044.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-05 16:32 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-05 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> I've two questions about the sql mode.  The first one
> is that onn my linux box I've Oracle SQL Developer,
> but not sqlplus, and when I try to connect to an
> oracle database but of course I got a "no sqlplus
> found" error ...

I can't help you specifically, but I remember when I
used the SQL mode (for MySQL) I had to, ehm, "seek well"
before I found a switch to put Emacs in that (the MySQL)
submode. Perhaps you can check out that?

Another way would be to just use Emacs for editing, and
then use the shell (or eshell) to do the actual
ping-pong-ing with the database.

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

@ 2013-11-08  7:47 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2013-11-08  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> writes:

> I've two questions about the sql mode.
> The first one is that onn my linux box I've Oracle SQL Developer, but
> not sqlplus, and when I try to connect to an oracle database but of
> course I got a "no sqlplus found" error, and therefore I would like to
> know if it is possible to use the sqldeveloper as intermediate library
> to connect thru Emacs, and if someone can point me to the right
> configuration.

Looking at the docs, it seems that SQL Developer has a GUI. SQL Mode,
like all inferior modes, needs to communicate with the subprocess using
stdin and stdout. I assume this will not work.
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E35137_01/appdev.32/e35117/intro.htm#CEGGHEFC

> The second is about PostgreSQL: if I get it right it seems that C-c
> C-c (send-paragraph) works only for the sqli buffer, that is for
> Oracle. Is there any way to use something similar via libpq?

The same applies here. SQL Mode uses stdin and stdout to communicate.
Using a vendor-specific library would require a totally different
approach.

There is an alternative, however:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PostgreSQL has "Code by EricMarsden for a
socket-level elisp interface to PostgreSQL."