all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Colors for M-x shell
@ 2014-08-22 21:34 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-08-22 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

I'd like to change the color for the directories, executables, etc for
the shell mode.

Though, I don't see (for example) where the "bold blue2" gets defined
for the directories.

See http://screencast.com/t/y4hUcRquPec.

Can you give me a hint?

Best regards,
  Seb

PS- It'd be great to have just one definition that'd be used for both
Shell mode and the highlighting of the completions (when pressing
`C-x d TAB TAB') when one does have:

  ;; provide the same facility of `ls --color' inside Emacs
  (autoload 'dircolors "dircolors" nil t)
  (add-hook 'completion-list-mode-hook 'dircolors))

Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Colors for M-x shell
@ 2014-08-22 21:48 ` Emanuel Berg
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-22 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

> I'd like to change the color for the directories,
> executables, etc for the shell mode.

I just wrote a post in response to how to set faces. It
was one or two posts back. That post includes a URL to
an Elisp file with a function to extract what face is
used at point.

Also how to set faces are exemplified in that file
(though perhaps you already know that).

I don't use the Emacs shell but it shouldn't be any
different from setting faces everywhere else.

> ls --color

If you are into that, I made an effort getting all that
straight. Check out:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/scripts/cols

--
underground experts united

* Re: Colors for M-x shell
@ 2014-08-22 22:20 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <mailman.7415.1408746061.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-08-22 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

writes:

> Can you give me a hint?

I think `ansi-color-names-vector' in ansi-color.el.

* Re: Colors for M-x shell
@ 2014-08-22 23:03   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-08-22 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I think `ansi-color-names-vector' in ansi-color.el.

But note that you must change it before starting shell to get an effect.

Michael.

* Re: Colors for M-x shell
       [not found] ` <mailman.7415.1408746061.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-08-25  8:01   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-08-25  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Thanks Emanuel and Michael!

Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Can you give me a hint?
>
> I think `ansi-color-names-vector' in ansi-color.el.

Yep. I've changed as well `ansi-color-faces-vector' to reset "bold" to
"default":

 '(ansi-color-faces-vector
   [default default default italic underline success warning error])
 '(ansi-color-names-vector
   ["black" "red3" "ForestGreen" "yellow3" "blue" "magenta3" "DeepSkyBlue" "gray50"])

A bit "aggressive", though... A pity that faces don't exist on their
own, for directories, executables, etc. (unlike in DiredP or Dircolors).

But the above meets my goal. Thanks...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Colors for M-x shell
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.7415.1408746061.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-08-25 10:43 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2014-08-25 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 22.08.2014 23:34, Sebastien Vauban wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to change the color for the directories, executables, etc for
> the shell mode.
>
> Though, I don't see (for example) where the "bold blue2" gets defined
> for the directories.
>
> See http://screencast.com/t/y4hUcRquPec.
>
> Can you give me a hint?
>
> Best regards,
>    Seb
>
> PS- It'd be great to have just one definition that'd be used for both
> Shell mode and the highlighting of the completions (when pressing
> `C-x d TAB TAB') when one does have:

>    ;; provide the same facility of `ls --color' inside Emacs
>    (autoload 'dircolors "dircolors" nil t)
>    (add-hook 'completion-list-mode-hook 'dircolors))

Extending shell-font-lock-keywords, defined in shell.el, should work.

Andreas