all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Perplexing dired behavior on "R": "pinging..."
@ 2014-11-20  2:56 Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-11-20  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Using emacs 24.4.1.

In a dired buffer, I "% m" to mark all files containing ".org". The
first of these, for instance, is called "animals.org". Once the files
are marked, I intend to move them to a new directory, and I type
"R". Then the minibuffer says,

"Pinging animals.org (Non-profit Organization)..."

And the process stalls. A quick investigation via "C-h k R" tells me
that the command is still bound to "dired-do-rename". What is getting
called here, and why? It seems only to happen when I'm trying to rename
multiple marked files. If I mark only one, things happen as they should.

Thank you!
steven arntson

* RE: Perplexing dired behavior on "R": "pinging..."
@ 2014-11-20  3:15 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2014-11-20  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Steven Arntson, help-gnu-emacs

> Using emacs 24.4.1.
>
> In a dired buffer, I "% m" to mark all files containing ".org". The
> first of these, for instance, is called "animals.org". Once the
> files
> are marked, I intend to move them to a new directory, and I type
> "R". Then the minibuffer says,
>
> "Pinging animals.org (Non-profit Organization)..."

Good one!  If you get that behavior after you start Emacs
using `emacs -Q' (no init file) then please file that as a bug:
`M-x report-emacs-bug'.  Sounds like it is picking up the
URL at point and trying to get to it.  Quite a "feature"!

* Re: Perplexing dired behavior on "R": "pinging..."
       [not found] <mailman.14121.1416452216.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-11-20 11:15 ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2014-11-20 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Steven Arntson <steven@stevenarntson.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
> In a dired buffer, I "% m" to mark all files containing ".org". The
> first of these, for instance, is called "animals.org". Once the files
> are marked, I intend to move them to a new directory, and I type "R".
> Then the minibuffer says,

> "Pinging animals.org (Non-profit Organization)..."

> And the process stalls. A quick investigation via "C-h k R" tells me
> that the command is still bound to "dired-do-rename". What is getting
> called here, and why? It seems only to happen when I'm trying to
> rename multiple marked files. If I mark only one, things happen as
> they should.

Could you post your ido and ffap settings?

--
DW

* Re: Perplexing dired behavior on "R": "pinging..."
@ 2014-11-21 22:08   ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2014-11-21 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Using emacs 24.4.1.
>>
>> In a dired buffer, I "% m" to mark all files containing ".org". The
>> first of these, for instance, is called "animals.org". Once the
>> files
>> are marked, I intend to move them to a new directory, and I type
>> "R". Then the minibuffer says,
>>
>> "Pinging animals.org (Non-profit Organization)..."
>
> Good one!  If you get that behavior after you start Emacs
> using `emacs -Q' (no init file) then please file that as a bug:
> `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  Sounds like it is picking up the
> URL at point and trying to get to it.  Quite a "feature"!

Restarting with -Q appeared to fix the problem. However, then when I
restarted again normally, the problem remained fixed! So I'm left
thinking that what I really needed to do was restart. Lesson learned ...

steven