Hi, Michael Albinus writes: >> So according to the note in `ange-ftp-get-files' there's the following >> node on using dired-actual-switches or dired-listing-switches >> >> ;; This is an efficiency hack. We try to >> ;; anticipate what sort of listing dired >> ;; might want, and cache just such a listing. >> >> Switches are checked with `ange-ftp-switches-ok'. (man "sftp") has a >> nice list of >> switches supported. Unfortunately, I don't really find anything on >> supported ls in the manpage of ftp or the info manual... >> >> Option I: I can limit accepted ls flags by ange-ftp to the subset >> supported by sftp. >> >> Option I+: I could add a defcustom to allow the current more liberal >> behavior akin to ange-ftp-passive-host-alist and >> ange-ftp-try-passive-mode. >> >> Option II would be to add build-in support for something like the >> --group-directories-first in dired, since now, if scrub off >> --group-directories-first, a dired-ftp buffer will look different from a >> local dired buffer... >> >> For now I will go with Option I. > > Well, I'm a little bit confused. In the beginning, you have spoken about > "ftp". Now you've switched to "sftp". These are very different cases, > and ange-ftp.el is *not* responsible for sftp connections. > > Could you, please, clarify? That comment is obsolete. See why here: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19192#20 I tried all long commands with my ftp server (Debian-hosted) and discard the ones that breaks ls over ftp. Feel free to try the attached patch. Cheers, Rasmus -- If you can mix business and politics wonderful things can happen!