all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How make Dired open selected files in a SPECIFIC window when there are multiple windows?
@ 2015-02-17 16:10 Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2015-02-17 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'd like to keep a small Dired window open that I can keep selecting files
from, and, have them all open in a specific big window.

(I'm basically trying to mimic an IDE where you have a "file chooser" widget.)

How do that?

Thanks!

Chris

P.S. Here is my code so far if curious...

(global-set-key (kbd "C-t")       (lambda (project)
                                          (split-window-below)
                                          (enlarge-window 9)
                                          (windmove-down)
                                          (interactive "sProject: ")
                                          (find-file project)
                                          (split-window-right)
                                          (windmove-right)
                                          (ansi-term "zsh")
                                          (windmove-up)))

It creates a "T shape" with a big window for editing and 2 smaller windows
for shell commands and Dired stuff.  Problem is that if I select a file in that Dired window it open in the same tiny window!

* Re: How make Dired open selected files in a SPECIFIC window when there are multiple windows?
@ 2015-02-17 19:01 ` Chris Seberino
From: Chris Seberino @ 2015-02-17 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Selecting file with "o" instead of pressing RETURN seems to do it.

* How make Dired open selected files in a SPECIFIC window when there are multiple windows?
@ 2015-02-18 10:38 Tak Kunihiro
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2015-02-18 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You can freeze the Dired window.

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x 9") 'freeze-window)
(defun freeze-window ()
  "Freeze or lock a window where point is.  Call again to unfreeze.
Technically this toggles window-dedicate-p property of a window."
  (interactive)
  (let ((frozenp (window-dedicated-p (selected-window)))
        (win (selected-window)))
    (set-window-dedicated-p win (not frozenp))
    (message (format "%s is %s" win (if (not frozenp) "frozen" "free")))))

@ 2015-02-18 11:28 Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2015-02-18 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'd like to keep a small Dired window open that I can keep selecting files
> from, and, have them all open in a specific big window.
>
> (I'm basically trying to mimic an IDE where you have a "file chooser"
> widget.)

guess you know about 'speedbar' (and sr-speedbar) - worth a try