Thanks so much for reply, I do not know the update; I am just guessing. Attached is a snapshot of the problem. I tried set-buffer-file-coding-system with no hope! Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: wyousef@fcih.net >> Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 00:02:17 +0000 >> >> I use "dired" mode; some file and directory names are in Arabic. I did >> not have any problem. All of the sudden, just few days ago (probably >> after an update), the Arabic names of the files and directory are shown >> as garbage. > > Please tell more: what was that update, what kind of garbage do you > see, what is the value of default-file-name-coding-system? > > Thanks.