Is this difference expected? I'm not familiar with the Lao script, so I don't know if one of the displays is wrong, though this quote from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lao_alphabet seems to suggest that either way is possible: "Vowels can be written above, below, in front of, or behind consonants, with some vowel combinations written before, over and after." This is m17n-lib-1.7.0 and libotf-0.9.13 from http://www.nongnu.org/m17n/, which are AFAIK the latest released versions (there's a patch for Bengali in etc/PROBLEMS, but I don't know of any problem report about Lao). (Regardless if what's correct, my aesthetic impression is that the first display, without m17n and libotf, looks better; however, I do know that the Arabic example in HELLO is correctly displayed only with these libraries). Steve Berman