all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* help with emailing buffer
@ 2018-01-30 11:00 Ken Stevens
From: Ken Stevens @ 2018-01-30 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there an easy way to email a buffer with emacs other than cut and
paste. In particular I want to mail my agenda.

Thank you in advance,
Ken

* Re: help with emailing buffer
@ 2018-01-30 13:35 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-01-30 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Stevens; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Stevens <kensubuntu@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Ken,

> Is there an easy way to email a buffer with emacs other than cut and
> paste. In particular I want to mail my agenda.

If you are running gnus, you could attach either files or buffers.

Don't know, how other Emacs MUAs handle this.

> Thank you in advance,
> Ken

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: help with emailing buffer
@ 2018-01-31  4:59 ` Bob Proulx
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8286.1517377470.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Proulx @ 2018-01-31  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Stevens wrote:
> Is there an easy way to email a buffer with emacs other than cut and
> paste. In particular I want to mail my agenda.

Yes!  You can email from Emacs.  Here is the documentation for doing so:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Mail.html#Sending-Mail

The email interface from emacs is very straight forward.  But it
depends upon being able to send mail.  That is going to vary for
people.  I can only point to the docs and ask that you ask for more
information about your own environment if it doesn't make sense.

  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Mail-Sending.html#Mail-Sending

Bob

* Re: help with emailing buffer
@ 2018-01-31  5:44   ` Bob Newell
       [not found]   ` <mailman.8286.1517377470.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Newell @ 2018-01-31  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This or something like it was posted online some while ago (so it's
not my original work by any means and I apologize for not knowing whom
to credit).

(defun send-buffer-as-mail ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((buf (current-buffer)))
    (compose-mail)
    (save-excursion
      (message-goto-body)
      (insert-buffer-substring buf))))

Obviously, fill in the headers after doing this. I use this frequently
and it works for me.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

Sent via Linux Mint 17.

* Re: help with emailing buffer
@ 2018-01-31 10:32     ` Ken Stevens
From: Ken Stevens @ 2018-01-31 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> This or something like it was posted online some while ago (so it's
> not my original work by any means and I apologize for not knowing whom
> to credit).
>
> (defun send-buffer-as-mail ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((buf (current-buffer)))
>     (compose-mail)
>     (save-excursion
>       (message-goto-body)
>       (insert-buffer-substring buf))))
>
> Obviously, fill in the headers after doing this. I use this frequently
> and it works for me.

Thanks, I'll give it a try this evening.

@ 2018-01-31 13:51     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-01-31 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bob Newell wrote:

> This or something like it was posted online
> some while ago (so it's not my original work
> by any means and I apologize for not knowing
> whom to credit).

But you don't send buffers that often. When you
do it, you might as well just do `compose-mail'
and then yank the buffer there.

With programming, or "From Lisp", you can send
an arbitrary mail like this:

(defun send-mail-to (to subject body)
  (gnus-post-news 'post "")
  (message-goto-to)       (insert to)
  (message-goto-subject)  (insert subject)
  (message-goto-body)     (insert body)
  (message-send-and-exit) )

--
underground experts united