all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [ELPA] New package: ssh-deploy
@ 2018-10-20  7:54 Christian Johansson
From: Christian Johansson @ 2018-10-20  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi!

My name is Christian Johansson, I have done the FSF paperwork and want
to get my package ssh-deploy into ELPA for GNU Emacs, I have a repo
here: https://github.com/cjohansson/emacs-ssh-deploy

Package summary:

The ssh-deploy plug-in for Emacs makes it possible to effortlessly
deploy local files and directories to remote hosts via TRAMP (including
but not limited to SSH, SFTP, FTP). It tries to provide functions that
can be easily used by custom scripts.

I don't have push access to the GIT repository but the files I want to
add are:

* https://github.com/cjohansson/emacs-ssh-deploy/blob/master/ssh-deploy.el
*
https://github.com/cjohansson/emacs-ssh-deploy/blob/master/ssh-deploy-diff-mode.el
* https://github.com/cjohansson/emacs-ssh-deploy/blob/master/README.md

Regards
Christian

* Re: [ELPA] New package: ssh-deploy
@ 2018-10-25  9:36 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-10-25  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Johansson; +Cc: emacs-devel

Christian Johansson <christian@cvj.se> writes:

> Hi!

Hi Christian,

> The ssh-deploy plug-in for Emacs makes it possible to effortlessly
> deploy local files and directories to remote hosts via TRAMP
> (including but not limited to SSH, SFTP, FTP). It tries to provide
> functions that can be easily used by custom scripts.

Thanks for this, it looks interesting.

I've checked README.md in order to get a first impression.

First of all: could you limit yourself to 80 chars per line in all your files? This makes
reading them more comfortable.

## Features:
* Define syncing configuration per directory or per file (using `DirectoryVariables` or `File Variables`)
* Control whether uploads of files should be automatic on save

This sounds like shadowfile.el functionality. What is the difference in
your implementation? (Note: shadowfile.el was broken for a long
time. I've fixed this recently only, in Emacs 27.0.50)

* Automatic and manual detection of remote changes of files using local revisions

How do you do this? Polling? File notifications?

* Launch difference sessions for directories using a custom implementation of recursive directory differences over TRAMP based on `ediff`

IIRC, ediff offers already something like this. What do you do else?

* All operations support asynchronous mode if `(make-thread`) or `async.el` is installed. (You need to setup an automatic authorization for this, i.e. `~/.netrc`, `~/.authinfo` or `~/.authinfo.gpg` and/or key-based password-less authorization)

I would rather point to auth-source.el, the de-facto standard in
Emacs. And if the problems with user interactions are solved in the
feature/tramp-thread-safe branch, this restriction might not be needed
anymore.

((nil . (
  (ssh-deploy-root-local . "/Users/username/Web/MySite/")
  (ssh-deploy-root-remote . "/ssh:myuser@myserver.com:/var/www/MySite/")
  (ssh-deploy-on-explicit-save . t)
  (ssh-deploy-remote-sql-database . "myuser")
  (ssh-deploy-remote-sql-password . "mypassword")
  (ssh-deploy-remote-sql-user . "myuser")
)))

This looks like directoy-local variables. Have you thought to use
connection-local variables instead?

> Regards
> Christian

Best regards, Michael.