all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16454: Enhancement: emacs library jka-compr
@ 2014-01-15 16:07 Tobias
From: Tobias @ 2014-01-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16454

The question and answer at

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21118197/how-to-automatically-decompress-
a-custom-compressed-file-when-opened-in-emacs/21127244#21127244

show that it would be nice if the arguments of the compression/uncompression
program would be evaluated.

The following patch provides that possibility with almost no costs.

The patch includes the evaluation of the arguments as well as the necessary
changes to the customization of jka-compr-info-compress-args and its
documentation.

File: jka-cmpr-hook.el

Version: GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-cygwin, GTK+ Version 3.8.2) of
2013-08-20 on moufang

Patch:

99c99

< (defun jka-compr-info-compress-args        (info)  (aref info 3))

---

> (defun jka-compr-info-compress-args        (info)  (mapcar 'apply (aref
info 3)))

102c102

< (defun jka-compr-info-uncompress-args      (info)  (aref info 6))

---

> (defun jka-compr-info-uncompress-args      (info)  (mapcar 'apply (aref
info 6)))

260c260,263

<    compress-args         is a list of args to pass to the compress program

---

>    compress-args         is a list of args to pass to the compress
program,

>                          each arg may be a string or a lisp expression

>                          the variable FILENAME is bound to the name of the
file

>                          to be compressed

267a271

>                          (analogeous to compress-args)

296c300

<                                             (repeat :tag "Uncompress
Arguments" string)

---

>                                             (repeat :tag "Uncompress
Arguments" (choice (string) (sexp)))

* bug#16454: Enhancement: emacs library jka-compr
@ 2019-08-15  1:47 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-08-15  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias; +Cc: 16454

"Tobias" <i@tn-home.de> writes:

> The question and answer at
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21118197/how-to-automatically-decompress-
> a-custom-compressed-file-when-opened-in-emacs/21127244#21127244
>
> show that it would be nice if the arguments of the compression/uncompression
> program would be evaluated.

[...]

> < (defun jka-compr-info-compress-args        (info)  (aref info 3))
>
> ---
>
>> (defun jka-compr-info-compress-args        (info)  (mapcar 'apply (aref
> info 3)))

(I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately gotten no

If I understand the patch correctly (it's unfortunately not a context
patch (and has apparently been mangled in transport), which makes it
hard to read), you basically allow the decompressors to be sexps in
addition to strings.

I think if the syntax here is to be extended, I don't think a sexp would
be the best solution -- a function, for instance, seems more natural.
But I also think that this seems like a pretty niche thing to do, and
which can be (as the stackoverflow thread shows) be achieved through
other means, so I don't think this sounds like it's worth adding.

So I'm closing this bug report.