all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* best way to add TODO items in the code ?
@ 2020-01-03  5:36 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-03  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

I'm looking for a way to add actionable TODO items in my elisp code.

What's the simplest way to do that ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: best way to add TODO items in the code ?
@ 2020-01-03  9:17 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-01-03  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Emacs developers

On 2020-01-03, at 06:36, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to add actionable TODO items in my elisp code.
>
> What's the simplest way to do that ?

One way would be to use an Org-mode file with TODOs and links to places
in the code.

Another one (probably more convenient) would be to use /only/ the
Org-mode file (with Elisp source blocks), literate-programming style.

Also, check out this: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FixmeMode (I
haven't tried it yet).

Also, check out this thread:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-12/msg00124.html
(continuation here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2020-01/msg00000.html)

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: best way to add TODO items in the code ?
@ 2020-01-03 14:49   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-03 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On Jan 3, 2020, at 18:17, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>

> On 2020-01-03, at 06:36, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a way to add actionable TODO items in my elisp code.
>>
>> What's the simplest way to do that ?
>
> One way would be to use an Org-mode file with TODOs and links to places
> in the code.
>
> Another one (probably more convenient) would be to use /only/ the
> Org-mode file (with Elisp source blocks), literate-programming style.
>
> Also, check out this: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FixmeMode (I
> haven't tried it yet).

I checked the package manager and found:
comment-tags
fic-mode
fixmee
that seem to do what I want. I'm going to test them now.

> Also, check out this thread:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-12/msg00124.html
> (continuation here:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2020-01/msg00000.html)

Yes, I'm actually following it :)

@ 2020-01-04 12:07     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-01-04 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Emacs developers

On 2020-01-03, at 15:49, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

> I checked the package manager and found:
> comment-tags
> fic-mode
> fixmee
> that seem to do what I want. I'm going to test them now.

Please report back when you know something about them.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: best way to add TODO items in the code ?
@ 2020-01-04 14:05       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-04 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On Jan 4, 2020, at 21:07, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>

> On 2020-01-03, at 15:49, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>
>> I checked the package manager and found:
>> comment-tags
>> fic-mode
>> fixmee
>> that seem to do what I want. I'm going to test them now.
>
> Please report back when you know something about them.

I was not able to have comment-tags run.
fic-mode and fixmee rely on regexp to find relevant "tags" (TODO/BUG, etc.)

Both highlight the tags (red bold) in the file where the mode is enabled.

fixmee also creates a buffer where all the lines with scanned tags are grouped and each line has a link to the file/line where the tag was found. It also seems to have a number of other useful functions (navigation, etc.) Priority level of the "fix" is based on the number of "e" after "fixme", like "fixmeeee" is a high priority issue.

I think I'll keep this one.

@ 2020-01-04 22:58         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-01-04 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Emacs developers

On 2020-01-04, at 15:05, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

>> On Jan 4, 2020, at 21:07, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>>

>> On 2020-01-03, at 15:49, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I checked the package manager and found:
>>> comment-tags
>>> fic-mode
>>> fixmee
>>> that seem to do what I want. I'm going to test them now.
>>
>> Please report back when you know something about them.
>
> I was not able to have comment-tags run.
> fic-mode and fixmee rely on regexp to find relevant "tags" (TODO/BUG, etc.)
>
> Both highlight the tags (red bold) in the file where the mode is enabled.
>
> fixmee also creates a buffer where all the lines with scanned tags are grouped and each line has a link to the file/line where the tag was found. It also seems to have a number of other useful functions (navigation, etc.) Priority level of the "fix" is based on the number of "e" after "fixme", like "fixmeeee" is a high priority issue.
>
> I think I'll keep this one.

Sounds good, thanks for the summary!

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: best way to add TODO items in the code ?
@ 2020-01-05  1:39           ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-05  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> On Jan 5, 2020, at 7:58, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> wrote:
>

> On 2020-01-04, at 15:05, Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> wrote:

>>> Please report back when you know something about them.
>>
>> I was not able to have comment-tags run.

Which only talks about my inability to understand the instructions. *But* for a package that provides such a trivial function, the instructions should be so easy that even a person like me can use it.

I had o issue installing and using the 2 others, even discovering various functions by reading the code provided by the `helpful' package.

JC