Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Stefan Monnier >> Cc: Jonas Bernoulli , johnw@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org >> Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 12:06:54 -0400 >> >> > I tend to think it should be un-deprecated. >> >> Interesting. I thought the whole CL -> CL-lib change was because we >> didn't want to have in Emacs core libraries that stomp on the namespace >> like that (funnily enough most of EIEIO's global names come straight >> from Common-Lisp, oref/oset being the main exception ;-) >> >> So does that also mean that EIEIO's names are now accepted into the >> core namespace? It seems rather odd that `defclass` is allowed into the >> core namespace while `defstruct` had to be relegated to `cl-defstruct`. > > I didn't mean we should stop cleaning up the global namespace, just > that this case could be one of the few exclusions. How's the attached patch for un-deprecating oset and oset-default? Political rationale: 0. Most voiced opinions have been in favour of keeping oset. 1. Though most are in favour of cleaning EIEIO's namespace, deprecating only oset causes hassle without sufficient gain. Technical rationale: 2. oset is widely used. 3. oref-default is not yet setf-able, so we'd have to recommend using eieio-oset-default in place of oset-default, which has been described as probably undesirable. WDYT? Should the changes to the manuals go to emacs-27 instead of master? Thanks, -- Basil