"H. Dieter Wilhelm" writes: Hi Dieter, > Michael Albinus writes: >>> installed: tramp-2.5.1.3, then emacs -Q >> >> I'm not sure that installed ELPA packages are activated when you run >> "emacs -Q". Likely, you must load Tramp in your *scratch* buffer (or you >> don't use "-Q" while testing). > > Please tell me what you mean exactly by loading Tramp in the *scratch* > buffer? I meant adapting the load-path, and requiring Tramp then. However, if you have installed the Tramp ELPA package, you can simply call # emacs -Q -l ~/.emacs.d/elpa/tramp-2.5.1.3/tramp-autoloads > I'll loaded all 20 tramp 2.5.1.3 sources from their Elpa folder and the > remote copy operation is working now with emacs -Q. Hurrah! Great! >> As said, Emacs knows Tramp methods for completion only when you have >> loaded Tramp. >> >> (Also this with Tramp 2.5.1.3, because there have been changes last months.) > > Right, also completion is working with 2.5.1.3. :-) Great, again! > PS: The only thing where I'm a bit confused is why - in emacs -Q - Tramp > isn't asking me to save the passwords in an .authinfo file? Did you > change a customisation in 2.5.1.3 compared to 2.5.1-pre? Excellent question, I've fixed this two days ago :-) In tramp.el, please apply the following patch: