all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [ELPA] Add embark
@ 2021-10-30 20:28 Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-30 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I'd like to propose adding the "embark"[0] package to GNU
ELPA. Functionality wise, it describes itself as "sort of right-click
contextual menu", and it seems to have attracted a lot of attention
recently.

The only issue is that all but one contributor has signed the copyright
assignment[1].  Yet Protesilaos Stavrou claims his contributions do not
amount to a "significant contribution", and thus should not block the
addition of Embark to GNU ELPA[2]:

> [...]
>
> A quick check:
>
> - `eebbcf8` contains two typos and an indentation change.  Even they
>   are still applicable, they are a negligible change for our legal
>   purposes.
>
> - `a35d9de` makes some changes to `embark-act`.  I would expect those
>   to no longer apply, given that this command has changed a lot over
>   time.  `git blame` tells me that nothing of that remains, but please
>   double check.
>
> - `4790949` adds three lines of docs and a small code sample to the
>   README.  A quick look suggests that it no longer exists.
>
> - `7c42885` changes the old implementation of keymaps and affects the
>   `embark-keymap` function.  That function no longer exists.  It has
>   been replaced by `embark-keymap-help` and `embark-keymap-prompter`.
>   Again, `git blame` tells me that no old code remains.
>
> - `34ebcb9` is also about the old keymap implementation.  Those
>   have undergone thoroughgoing reform since last year.
>
> In conclusion: what remains from DK's contributions does not block the
> process. Please verify those findings, otherwise embark is eligible
> for inclusion in GNU ELPA.
>
> And I claim that this does not constitute a blocking issue, because I
> have read before on emacs-devel (I think by Richard Stallman?) that in
> cases where we cannot secure the paperwork, the relevant code needs to
> be written anew. In other words, Git history does not count, but only
> the current files. Though please confirm this with the Emacs
> maintainers.

If this is true, I would take care of adding Embark to GNU ELPA.

[0] https://github.com/oantolin/embark
[1] https://github.com/oantolin/embark/issues/233
[2] https://github.com/oantolin/embark/issues/233#issuecomment-890383731
--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: [ELPA] Add embark
@ 2021-10-31  0:25 ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2021-10-31  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose adding the "embark"[0] package to GNU
> ELPA. Functionality wise, it describes itself as "sort of right-click
> contextual menu", and it seems to have attracted a lot of attention
> recently.

Thanks.  I think it would be a nice addition to GNU ELPA.

* Re: [ELPA] Add embark
@ 2021-10-31  4:20 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-10-31  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel

> The only issue is that all but one contributor has signed the copyright
> assignment[1].  Yet Protesilaos Stavrou claims his contributions do not
> amount to a "significant contribution", and thus should not block the
> addition of Embark to GNU ELPA[2]:

[ At first I read the above to mean that Protesilaos was claiming that
  his own contributions were insignificant, implying that he was the
  last remaining contributor not covered by paperwork, which made me
  doubt my memory, so I went to double check and after finding that he
  indeed had signed the paperwork I finally re-read the above and
  understood what you meant ;-)  ]

Indeed, I confirm his analysis.  Some of those contributions can still
be traced to the latest code, but it's small enough to fall below the
"trivial" threshold, IMO.

* Re: [ELPA] Add embark
@ 2021-10-31  8:22   ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2021-10-31  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> The only issue is that all but one contributor has signed the copyright
>> assignment[1].  Yet Protesilaos Stavrou claims his contributions do not
>> amount to a "significant contribution", and thus should not block the
>> addition of Embark to GNU ELPA[2]:
>
> [ At first I read the above to mean that Protesilaos was claiming that
>   his own contributions were insignificant, implying that he was the
>   last remaining contributor not covered by paperwork, which made me
>   doubt my memory, so I went to double check and after finding that he
>   indeed had signed the paperwork I finally re-read the above and
>   understood what you meant ;-)  ]

Whoops, I recognize the potential for confusion, phrased that stupidly.
To clarify, an anonymous contributor "DK" hasn't responded to the call to
add Embark to GNU ELPA, but it turns out that they didn't contribute
enough to prevent the package from being added.

> Indeed, I confirm his analysis.  Some of those contributions can still
> be traced to the latest code, but it's small enough to fall below the
> "trivial" threshold, IMO.

Ok, great! I will add the "embark" and "embark-consult" packages then.

--
	Philip Kaludercic