all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Where / when Emacs on Gitlab?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 03:11:09 +0100	[thread overview]

tomas wrote:

> This is an interesting idea; in practice, it is more
> difficult than expected. I've observed that several times:
> the "medium" (presentation, whatever) does influence
> communication style and patterns, and you "feel" bumps at
> medium boundaries.

It also has pitfalls, e.g. everyone spends time polishing
their own workflow clients, and the communication between
them, instead of doing actual work on the project.

No, if one just cares about everyone being the most productive
as they can possible can, I think huge modern GUI systems with
little buttons for everything is preferable to people
discussing everything like we do with text and e-mails.
So instead of saying, "thank you, that worked" on just pushes
a button to indicate problem solved - much like the SX sites
has been operating a long time by now BTW.

One would then go on to integrate everything even more and
eliminate ever single bottleneck.

However it will be the corporate streamlined conveyor belt way
of doing things, with no room for anything else. It will just
be about productivity, the production of code as good and as
fast as possible and that is it. And soon AI will enter those
systems as well.

But it still possible for a project like Emacs to continue
using git and mailing lists the way it is done today even in
the near future, since that is something that generally
appeals to people that are typically appealed by Emacs.
Even in the distant future, there will be people appealed by
that but yes, I think they will be fewer and fewer.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal