all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com>
To: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@gmail.com>
Cc: Help-Gnu-Emacs@Gnu.Org
Subject: Re: Get current date and time as a string?
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 12:27:27 -0400	[thread overview]

>> On Wed, May 22 2024, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> after having unsuccessfully used "C-h a" to find a command returning the
>> current date and time (preferably as "YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss") I'm now ask-
>> ing the combined wisdom of this list: is there such a thing?
>
> You'll want a combination of `current-time` and `format-time-string`. See (info
> "(elisp) Time of Day") and (info "(elisp) Time Parsing"), respectively.

Also, for future reference, try "C-h a" and enter "apropos" at the
prompt.  This will show the many other forms of looking up appropriate
information, including ‘apropos-function’.  So, instead of looking up
commands (interactive functions), look up functions (commands,
functions, macros) related to time:

    M-x apropos-function
    Search for function (word list or regexp): time RET

And since it accepts regular expressions, you can narrow this search to
eliminate names that include, for example, "timer":

    Search for function (word list or regexp): -time$\|^time-\|-time-

- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliament of Birds.