all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where to send patches for ELPA packages
@ 2024-07-28 13:03 Xiyue Deng
From: Xiyue Deng @ 2024-07-28 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Hi,

I have been working on getting oauth2.el to work and have a few patches
that I think may improve its usability.  I'm aware of `send-emacs-bug',
but wondering whether that is the correct place to send patches for ELPA
packages?  Or is there another place for patches for ELPA packages?

Thanks in advance.

--
Xiyue Deng

* Re: Where to send patches for ELPA packages
@ 2024-07-28 17:05 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-07-28 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Xiyue Deng wrote:

> I have been working on getting oauth2.el to work and have
> a few patches that I think may improve its usability.
> I'm aware of `send-emacs-bug', but wondering whether that is
> the correct place to send patches for ELPA packages? Or is
> there another place for patches for ELPA packages?

Good work and good question, how about mailing the maintainer,
maybe he will grant you access so you can do it with you own
tools, but if that isn't possible or just overkill for the
purpose maybe you just mail the patch to him?

But you will have to wait for an authoritative answer this
quiet Sunday.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Where to send patches for ELPA packages
@ 2024-07-28 19:34   ` Xiyue Deng
From: Xiyue Deng @ 2024-07-28 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Emanuel,

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

> Xiyue Deng wrote:
>
>> I have been working on getting oauth2.el to work and have
>> a few patches that I think may improve its usability.
>> I'm aware of `send-emacs-bug', but wondering whether that is
>> the correct place to send patches for ELPA packages? Or is
>> there another place for patches for ELPA packages?
>
> Good work and good question, how about mailing the maintainer,
> maybe he will grant you access so you can do it with you own
> tools, but if that isn't possible or just overkill for the
> purpose maybe you just mail the patch to him?

Good idea!  Let me mail the patches to the maintainer.

> But you will have to wait for an authoritative answer this
> quiet Sunday.

Sure!  Will also wait here while waiting for the maintainer's response.

--

@ 2024-07-28 21:32 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-07-28 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiyue Deng; +Cc: Emacs developers

Xiyue Deng <manphiz@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working on getting oauth2.el to work and have a few patches
> that I think may improve its usability.  I'm aware of `send-emacs-bug',
> but wondering whether that is the correct place to send patches for ELPA
> packages?  Or is there another place for patches for ELPA packages?

If you use package-vc, there is also `package-vc-prepare-patch', but
that just uses the "Maintainer" address.  If the maintainer doesn't
respond, you can send the patches to this mailing list and they can be
pushed to elpa.git.  Note that this is a lot easier of the package is
developed in elpa.git, not mirrored from some remote repository.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine

* Re: Where to send patches for ELPA packages
@ 2024-07-28 22:20   ` Xiyue Deng
From: Xiyue Deng @ 2024-07-28 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Emacs developers

Hi Philip,

> Xiyue Deng <manphiz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been working on getting oauth2.el to work and have a few patches
>> that I think may improve its usability.  I'm aware of `send-emacs-bug',
>> but wondering whether that is the correct place to send patches for ELPA
>> packages?  Or is there another place for patches for ELPA packages?
>
> If you use package-vc, there is also `package-vc-prepare-patch', but
> that just uses the "Maintainer" address.  If the maintainer doesn't
> respond, you can send the patches to this mailing list and they can be
> pushed to elpa.git.  Note that this is a lot easier of the package is
> developed in elpa.git, not mirrored from some remote repository.

Thanks for the suggestions!  I have followed Emanuel's suggestion and
mailed the packages to the maintainer.  If I don't hear back in a few
days I'll forward the patches here.

--

@ 2024-07-30  8:37     ` Xiyue Deng
From: Xiyue Deng @ 2024-07-30  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)