all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* NonGNU ELPA: taking over/forking ws-butler
@ 2024-10-17  3:21 Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2024-10-17  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Hello,

I wrote the following e-mail to Le Wang a fortnight ago and have
received no response.  And he has not been active on github, where
ws-butler was developed, in some years.

Stefan, do you think it would be okay if I go ahead and essentially fork
it by maintaining it out of nongnu-elpa.git?

Thanks.

--
Sean Whitton

From: Sean Whitton @ 2024-10-17  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, Le Wang

Intended to CC Le Wang on this message too.

@ 2024-10-17 16:27 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-10-17 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Whitton; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I wrote the following e-mail to Le Wang a fortnight ago and have
> received no response.  And he has not been active on github, where
> ws-butler was developed, in some years.
>
> Stefan, do you think it would be okay if I go ahead and essentially fork
> it by maintaining it out of nongnu-elpa.git?

Is there a reason you want to maintaining from nongnu.git?  It would
also be possible to redirect it to some new repository that you would
have control over instead.

> Thanks.
>
> --
> Sean Whitton
>
> From: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
> Subject: taking over ws-butler
> To: Le Wang <l26wang@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2024 01:46:40 +0800 (2 weeks, 1 day, 22 hours ago)
>
> Hello Le,
>
> I love ws-butler, as do many others.
>
> ws-butler has a number of open issues and could generally use some
> maintainance work.
> Would you consider letting me take over as maintainer, please?
>
> I've been maintaining ws-butler in the official Debian repositories
> since 2016 and I have commit access to upstream Emacs, GNU ELPA and
> NonGNU ELPA.
>
> I'd leave you as Author, and add a Maintainer line for myself.
> You could either grant me access to your repository on github, or
> transfer the repository to me, which automatically establishes a
> redirect.  In the latter case I could give you push access so you could
> still make changes.
>
> Thank you for considering this.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on siskin

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: taking over/forking ws-butler
@ 2024-10-17 18:17   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2024-10-17 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Whitton; +Cc: emacs-devel, Le Wang

> I wrote the following e-mail to Le Wang a fortnight ago and have
> received no response.  And he has not been active on github, where
> ws-butler was developed, in some years.

Sadly, nowadays many people don't read their email or don't reply.
[ IME, more and more people use their email account only as a kind of
  authenticator for 2FA or password recovery. 🙁  ]
[ Also, sometimes they just change their email address.  ]

I'd recommend you open a (very short and focused) issue on the upstream
Github about this, asking for help contacting him, in case he does read
that, or in case someone else reads that who knows another way to
reach him.

BTW, https://github.com/lewang suggests he contributed to something(?)
over there recently (on Sept 25).

>> Stefan, do you think it would be okay if I go ahead and essentially
>> fork it by maintaining it out of nongnu-elpa.git?

Changing the upstream (to `nongnu.git` or anywhere else) due to a new
maintainership is fine, yes.

But of course doing it without the former maintainer's consent is not ideal.
I think it deserves waiting a bit more than a fortnight.

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: taking over/forking ws-butler
@ 2024-10-18  4:36   ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2024-10-18  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Hello,

On Thu 17 Oct 2024 at 04:27pm GMT, Philip Kaludercic wrote:

> Is there a reason you want to maintaining from nongnu.git?  It would
> also be possible to redirect it to some new repository that you would
> have control over instead.

I just think it's easier to have fewer repos.  It's git, so it doesn't
really matter where things are, anyway.

--
Sean Whitton

* Re: NonGNU ELPA: taking over/forking ws-butler
@ 2024-10-18  4:39     ` Sean Whitton
From: Sean Whitton @ 2024-10-18  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, Le Wang

Hello,

On Thu 17 Oct 2024 at 02:17pm -04, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I'd recommend you open a (very short and focused) issue on the upstream
> Github about this, asking for help contacting him, in case he does read
> that, or in case someone else reads that who knows another way to
> reach him.

Okay, done.

> BTW, https://github.com/lewang suggests he contributed to something(?)
> over there recently (on Sept 25).
>
>>> Stefan, do you think it would be okay if I go ahead and essentially
>>> fork it by maintaining it out of nongnu-elpa.git?
>
> Changing the upstream (to `nongnu.git` or anywhere else) due to a new
> maintainership is fine, yes.
>
> But of course doing it without the former maintainer's consent is not ideal.
> I think it deserves waiting a bit more than a fortnight.

Yeah, I wasn't planning to do it immediately, just wanted to ask about
how it could be done.

I'll do it in a further two weeks from now, if no response.

--
Sean Whitton