all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Suggestion: create new file backups following turn of day
@ 2002-05-29  9:08 Marshall, Simon
From: Marshall, Simon @ 2002-05-29  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

Now that Exceed doesn't crash on a regular basis, I find that I run many
Emacs sessions for days or even a whole working week.  Unfortunately,
for those Emacs sessions, this means that the only backups I have for
files I visit in those sessions are days old or even a whole week.  For
example:

I start Emacs on Monday and visit some files.
I spend the whole week making edits & saving the files, but on Thurs I
realise I want some change I made earlier in the week to one of the
files, maybe Monday or Tuesday I can't quite remember, that I deleted a
day or so later.
I check the backup files only to discover there's only one for each
modified file---the one Emacs made the first time I saved on Monday.
The backup file is from the previous Friday.

I realise I can do C-u C-x C-s on an individual file, but that requires
me remembering (a) to do it, (b) whether I've done it already that day
given the large number of files I might be editing and (c) I save with
C-u C-x s because I tend to modify more than one file at a time.  What I
would like is to be able to tell Emacs to automatically make backups on
a daily basis, not just the first time I save a visited file.  Or maybe
some other configuration, e.g., make a backup when saving after a number
of hours since the last backup was made for the visited file.

WDYT?  Simon.

Simon Marshall, Misys International Banking Systems
1 St. George's Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4DR, UK
Email: simon.marshall@misys.com Web: www.misys.com
Phone: +44 20 8879 1188 Fax: +44 20 8879 1764

* Re: Suggestion: create new file backups following turn of day
@ 2002-05-29  9:48 Colin Walters
From: Colin Walters @ 2002-05-29  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What I
> would like is to be able to tell Emacs to automatically make backups on
> a daily basis, not just the first time I save a visited file.

Sounds like a good idea to me; I would use such a feature.

Recently though I've gotten into the habit of using RCS a lot; a friend
pointed out to me that just typing 'C-x v v' on a file will create an
RCS directory for you and everything.  Very handy.