all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* autocompletion.
@ 2002-10-10 12:24 quasi
From: quasi @ 2002-10-10 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Friends,
	I would like to know what is the key combination for
hyppi-expanding in emacs 21.x on windows.  My windows emacs 21.x has
C-/ as the key.  How do I set this key on the Linux Emacs?  Also
generally how do we find the keycombination to any command??

thanks
quasi
--

What?

* Re: autocompletion.
@ 2002-10-10 13:16 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-10-10 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

quasi <quasiabhi@yahoo.com> writes:

> 	I would like to know what is the key combination for
> hyppi-expanding in emacs 21.x on windows.

Never heard of hyppi-expanding and Google gave no lead, what's it?

> How do I set this key on the Linux Emacs?

M-x global-set-key RET C-/ the-function-that-"hyppi-expands" RET

> Also generally how do we find the keycombination to any command??

C-h w

C-h C-h  for help on the help commands.

HTH

/Jonas
--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* RE: autocompletion.
@ 2002-10-10 13:30 Victor Kirk
From: Victor Kirk @ 2002-10-10 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> 	I would like to know what is the key combination for
>> hyppi-expanding in emacs 21.x on windows.

> Never heard of hyppi-expanding and Google gave no lead, what's it?

I'm guessing it was a typo and `hippie-expand' was intended.

Vic
--
This message, including attachments, is intended only for the use by the
person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is

* Re: autocompletion.
       [not found] <mailman.1034256489.14581.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-10 16:16 ` quasi
From: quasi @ 2002-10-10 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:30:22 +0100, Victor Kirk
<vkirk@technology.serco.com> wrote:
>I'm guessing it was a typo and `hippie-expand' was intended.

that was it.  sorry.

thanks,
quasi
--

What?

* Re: autocompletion.
@ 2002-10-10 16:16   ` quasi
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1034343500.5121.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1034348592.5347.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: quasi @ 2002-10-10 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-10-11  1:59   ` Sacha Chua
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1034348592.5347.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sacha Chua @ 2002-10-11  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

>> 	I would like to know what is the key combination for
>> hyppi-expanding in emacs 21.x on windows.
> Never heard of hyppi-expanding and Google gave no lead, what's it?

That would be hippie-expand, and I don't think it's bound by default.
M-/ is bound to dabbrev-expand, though.

--
Sacha Chua <sacha@free.net.ph> - 4 BS CS Ateneo geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, wearables, teaching compsci

* Re: autocompletion.
@ 2002-10-11 11:40     ` ken
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1034343500.5121.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: ken @ 2002-10-11 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Before setting a key like below, I always do "C-h k" then hit the key
combo I'm planning to map.  This tells me what, if anything, might
already be mapped to the specified key combo.  In the case of "C-/"
emacs tells me that:

<emacs>
C-/ runs the command undo
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
(undo &optional ARG)

Undo some previous changes.
Repeat this command to undo more changes.
A numeric argument serves as a repeat count.

Just C-u as argument requests selective undo,
limited to changes within the current region.
Likewise in Transient Mark mode when the mark is active.
</emacs>

This means that the mapping below would overwrite a really handy key
combo. :<

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake quasi at 21:46 (UTC+0530) on Thu, 10 Oct 2002:

= On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:16:08 +0200, Jonas Steverud
= <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> wrote:
= >
= >M-x global-set-key RET C-/ the-function-that-"hyppi-expands" RET
= >
= >> Also generally how do we find the keycombination to any command??
= >
= >C-h w
= >
= >C-h C-h  for help on the help commands.
= >
=
= thanks,
= quasi
= --
=
= What?
= _______________________________________________
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list
= Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
=

* Re: autocompletion.
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1034343500.5121.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-11 14:26       ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2002-10-11 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net> wrote:

> Before setting a key like below, I always do "C-h k" then hit the key
> combo I'm planning to map.  This tells me what, if anything, might
> already be mapped to the specified key combo.  In the case of "C-/"
> emacs tells me that:
>
> <emacs>
> C-/ runs the command undo
[...]
> This means that the mapping below would overwrite a really handy key
> combo. :<

You can better judge whether to overwrite the key combo by considering
what other combinations (what is the plural of combo?) run the
command.

Try C-h w undo or C-h f undo.

--
John Paul Wallington

* Re: autocompletion.
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1034348592.5347.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-12  6:38     ` quasi
From: quasi @ 2002-10-12  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:59:59 +0800, Sacha Chua <sacha@free.net.ph>
wrote:

>Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
>
>>> 	I would like to know what is the key combination for
>>> hyppi-expanding in emacs 21.x on windows.
>> Never heard of hyppi-expanding and Google gave no lead, what's it?
>
>That would be hippie-expand, and I don't think it's bound by default.
>M-/ is bound to dabbrev-expand, though.

!!!  And I type ~1000 lines of code without expand!  BTW that is the
difference between debbrev-expand and hippie-expand, if any?

thanks
--

quasi
http://abhijit-rao.tripod.com/

* Re: autocompletion.
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1034343500.5121.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-12  6:38       ` quasi
From: quasi @ 2002-10-12  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:40:13 -0400 (EDT), ken <ken@cleveland.lug.net>
wrote:

>Before setting a key like below, I always do "C-h k" then hit the key
>combo I'm planning to map.  This tells me what, if anything, might
>already be mapped to the specified key combo.

Aaah!  this is exactly what I wanted to know from a long time!!
Thanks!

>This means that the mapping below would overwrite a really handy key
>combo. :<

even though I tried to bind this particular key-combo to hippie-expand
it did not get bound.  It still did undo work.  But that is OK, as
they now tell me there is M-/ also!

thanks a lot
--

quasi
http://abhijit-rao.tripod.com/

* Re: autocompletion.
@ 2002-10-14 13:08       ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2002-10-14 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

quasi <quasiabhi@yahoo.com> writes:

>>That would be hippie-expand, and I don't think it's bound by default.
>>M-/ is bound to dabbrev-expand, though.
> !!!  And I type ~1000 lines of code without expand!  BTW that is the
> difference between debbrev-expand and hippie-expand, if any?

hippie-expand checks against a list of functions in order to find
possible expansions. dabbrev-expand completes against words already
typed, and can be included in hippie-expand-try-functions-list - to be
precise, `try-expand-dabbrev' is there.