all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Byte-Compile Error: End of file during parsing
@ 2005-05-12 22:53 Ryan Bowman
       [not found] ` <mailman.4949.1115939602.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ryan Bowman @ 2005-05-12 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a few files that I'm trying to byte compile, my
libraries and those of other people), but I keep
getting 'Error: End of file during parsing'.  I'm
tring to hunt down what's causing it, but I don't
really know enough about elisp to be very successful.
What sorts of things can cause such an error, and are
there any easier ways to track them down then by
reading through the source code?
Thanks.

----
Ryan Bowman

While any text editor can save your files, only Emacs can save your soul. -- Per Abrahamsen

----

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Byte-Compile Error: End of file during parsing
@ 2005-05-12 23:08 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.4949.1115939602.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-05-12 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

   I have a few files that I'm trying to byte compile, my
   libraries and those of other people), but I keep
   getting 'Error: End of file during parsing'.  I'm
   tring to hunt down what's causing it, but I don't
   really know enough about elisp to be very successful.
   What sorts of things can cause such an error,

Missing right parens.

   and are
   there any easier ways to track them down then by
   reading through the source code?

Break the code roughly in half and use `eval-region' on half of it.
(You must be very rough with your code when it is behaving like this.)

If this succeeds, grow region by half of the remaining space and use
`eval-region' again.  If it fails, shrink region by half and use
`eval-region' again.  Continue until you have found the offending
(overlarge) form.

* Re: Byte-Compile Error: End of file during parsing
       [not found] <mailman.4947.1115938886.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-05-12 23:46 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-05-12 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan Bowman <ryanlbowman@yahoo.com> writes:

> easier ways to track them down then by
> reading through the source code?

M-x hs-minor-mode
M-x hs-hide-all

look for the top-level form that
is not hidden; recurse as necessary.

thi

@ 2005-05-13  3:57   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-05-13  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Missing right parens.

>    and are there any easier ways to track them down then by reading
>    through the source code?

> Break the code roughly in half and use `eval-region' on half of it.
> (You must be very rough with your code when it is behaving like this.)

> If this succeeds, grow region by half of the remaining space and use
> `eval-region' again.  If it fails, shrink region by half and use
> `eval-region' again.  Continue until you have found the offending
> (overlarge) form.

Why not M-x check-parens ?

* Re: Byte-Compile Error: End of file during parsing
@ 2005-05-13 14:41     ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-05-13 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

   > Missing right parens.

   >    and are there any easier ways to track them down then by reading
   >    through the source code?

   > Break the code roughly in half and use `eval-region' on half of it.
   > (You must be very rough with your code when it is behaving like this.)

   Why not M-x check-parens ?

Um, or you could do that. :)