all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* make `bookmark-jump' use ido?
@ 2006-05-05 18:19 William Xu
       [not found] ` <m3psishy5y.fsf@kfs-l.imdomain.dk>
From: William Xu @ 2006-05-05 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

i noticed that (ido-everywhere 1) has no effect on `bookmark-jump'. Is
there any easy way(without modifying `bookmark-jump' directly) to make
`bookmark-jump' use ido?

Emacs Version: GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, X
toolkit) of 2006-04-17 on malo, modified by Debian

--
William

* RE: make `bookmark-jump' use ido?
@ 2006-05-05 18:29 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <m3psishy5y.fsf@kfs-l.imdomain.dk>
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-05-05 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

    i noticed that (ido-everywhere 1) has no effect on `bookmark-jump'. Is
    there any easy way(without modifying `bookmark-jump' directly) to make
    `bookmark-jump' use ido?

I don't have the answer to your question, but as an alternative to Ido here
you might consider using Icicles for completion, with command
`icicle-bookmark': http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles.

@ 2006-05-06  4:16   ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2006-05-06  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

>> i noticed that (ido-everywhere 1) has no effect on `bookmark-jump'. Is
>> there any easy way(without modifying `bookmark-jump' directly) to make
>> `bookmark-jump' use ido?
>
> You might rewrite bookmark-completing-read to use ido-completing-read
> instead of completing-read.  You would probably have to turn the
> bookmark-alist into a real list before passing it to
> ido-completing-read.

Hmm, maybe ido could add this feauture in the future, to replace
`completing-read' with `ido-completing-read', just like `read-file-name'
and `ido-read-file-name'.

--

@ 2006-05-06  4:20   ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2006-05-06  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     i noticed that (ido-everywhere 1) has no effect on `bookmark-jump'. Is
>     there any easy way(without modifying `bookmark-jump' directly) to make
>     `bookmark-jump' use ido?
>
> I don't have the answer to your question, but as an alternative to Ido here
> you might consider using Icicles for completion, with command
> `icicle-bookmark': http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles.

thanks. but seems it looks like kind of rewrite of ido. i'm accustomed
to ido.

--

@ 2006-05-06 14:20     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-05-06 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >     Is there any easy way (without modifying `bookmark-jump'
    >     directly) to make `bookmark-jump' use ido?
    >
    > I don't have the answer to your question, but as an
    > alternative to Ido here you might consider using Icicles
    > for completion, with command
    > `icicle-bookmark': http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles.

    thanks. but seems it looks like kind of rewrite of ido.

No, not at all. Totally different purpose, functionality, and UI.

They both involve completion in some way, as do other libraries; that's all
they have in common AFAIK.

    i'm accustomed to ido.

Yes. I was too at one time ;-).

* Re: [Spampost.com] Re: make `bookmark-jump' use ido?
@ 2006-05-07 20:29     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-05-07 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm, maybe ido could add this feauture in the future, to replace
> `completing-read' with `ido-completing-read', just like `read-file-name'
> and `ido-read-file-name'.

Emacs doesn't allow a Lisp function to replace completing-read for all
uses.  You can defadvice completing-read but that will not be used
for the calls from other C code.

* Re: make `bookmark-jump' use ido?
       [not found] <mailman.1487.1146853074.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-05-08  5:57 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-05-08  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> i noticed that (ido-everywhere 1) has no effect on `bookmark-jump'. Is
> there any easy way(without modifying `bookmark-jump' directly) to make
> `bookmark-jump' use ido?

I use this:

(defun my-switch-to-bookmark (bname)
  "Interactively switch to bookmark as `iswitchb' does."
  (interactive (list (flet ((iswitchb-make-buflist
                             (default)
                             (require 'bookmark)
                             (setq iswitchb-buflist (bookmark-all-names))))
                       (iswitchb-read-buffer "Jump to bookmark: "))))
  (bookmark-jump bname))

I have bound C-x r b to this:

(global-set-key "\C-xrb" 'my-switch-to-bookmark)

It uses `iswitchb' instead of ido but it is probably close enough for
you.

* Re: make `bookmark-jump' use ido?
@ 2006-05-09  6:35       ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2006-05-09  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> They both involve completion in some way, as do other libraries;
> that's all they have in common AFAIK.

That's a nice idea about "M-x: minibuffer input completion and cycling."
Just tried icicles, it looks to me, a bit too slow and noisy. It keeps
on prompting "Displaying completion candicates."  Also, maybe the color
is too much?

> Yes. I was too at one time ;-).

Do you not use ido anymore nowadays?

--

@ 2006-05-09  6:48   ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2006-05-09  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

> I use this:
>
> (defun my-switch-to-bookmark (bname)
>   "Interactively switch to bookmark as `iswitchb' does."
>   (interactive (list (flet ((iswitchb-make-buflist
>                              (default)
>                              (require 'bookmark)
>                              (setq iswitchb-buflist (bookmark-all-names))))
>                        (iswitchb-read-buffer "Jump to bookmark: "))))
>   (bookmark-jump bname))
>
> I have bound C-x r b to this:
>
> (global-set-key "\C-xrb" 'my-switch-to-bookmark)
>
> It uses `iswitchb' instead of ido but it is probably close enough for
> you.

Actually, now i simply replace `completing-read' in
`bookmark-completing-read' with `ido-completing-read'. It looks fine,
except that `TAB' won't work anymore, still needs tuning.

--

@ 2006-05-09 16:12         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-05-09 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > They both involve completion in some way, as do other libraries;
    > that's all they have in common AFAIK.

    That's a nice idea about "M-x: minibuffer input completion and cycling."
    Just tried icicles, it looks to me, a bit too slow and noisy. It keeps
    on prompting "Displaying completion candicates."  Also, maybe the color
    is too much?

You mention three things here, without detail: speed, noise, colors. Some
are welcome to file a bug report (just use `M-x customize-group icicles' and
click the button `Send Bug Report'). Alternatively, you can post feedback on
Emacs Wiki: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IciclesIssues.

1. Speed - What do you find slow? There are so many aspects to Icicles, and
so many options and ways to use it, that I don't know what you are referring
to. I've never had any feedback before that any part of Icicles is slow,
BTW.

Perhaps you are referring to the default behavior of requiring confirmation
(RET) of a completion choice. Ido and Iswitchb users are in the habit of
exiting the minibuffer whenever one of the completion candidates is uniquely
determined, without needing to hit RET to confirm. This behavior is
configurable in Icicles too. It is not the default behavior because it
limits your input to one of the candidates. In this, Icicles default
behavior is the same as that of Emacs (e.g. `switch-to-buffer' and
`find-file'. See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_S-RET.

2. Noise (message "Displaying completion candicates...") - Thx for the
heads-up on this. You should not see this message if you type input (pending
input always inhibits `message'). Display and incremental update of buffer
*Completions* (which this message accompanies) is also configurable - there
are several different behaviors possible. I never see that message myself,
BTW, because I also use Icomplete (and Icomplete+: see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Icompletion), which preempts
the echo area.

In any case, I've fixed it now so that the message appears only when there
are more candidates than option `icicle-incremental-completion-threshold'
(which is 1000 by default). Thx.

3. Colors - All of the Icicles faces (colors) are customizable. If the
default colors don't fit your color scheme, change them. It is impossible to
have a default set of colors that fits all user color schemes.

    > Yes. I was too at one time ;-).

    Do you not use ido anymore nowadays?

No. I use Icicles for all input completion, of any kind.

* Re: make `bookmark-jump' use ido?
@ 2006-05-10  2:18           ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2006-05-10  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     > They both involve completion in some way, as do other libraries;
>     > that's all they have in common AFAIK.
>
>     That's a nice idea about "M-x: minibuffer input completion and cycling."
>     Just tried icicles, it looks to me, a bit too slow and noisy. It keeps
>     on prompting "Displaying completion candicates."  Also, maybe the color
>     is too much?
>
> You mention three things here, without detail: speed, noise, colors. Some
> are welcome to file a bug report (just use `M-x customize-group icicles' and
> click the button `Send Bug Report'). Alternatively, you can post feedback on
> Emacs Wiki: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IciclesIssues.

[...]

Okay. i admit that's just my first, hasty impression. Thanks for your
explanation. :-)

--
William