all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eshell ls display
@ 2006-12-13  2:08 bgm-rao
From: bgm-rao @ 2006-12-13  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I use ls within eshell, this is what I see.
How do I get rid of the extra characters?

~ $ ls
^[[00m^[[00m#.diary.cyclic-tasks#^[[00m
^[[00m#.newsrc-dribble#^[[00m
^[[00m#cts#^[[00m
^[[00mBalanced Routing.xls^[[00m

* Re: eshell ls display
       [not found] <mailman.1812.1165975752.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-13  6:56 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-13  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

<bgm-rao@ieee.org> writes:

> When I use ls within eshell, this is what I see.
> How do I get rid of the extra characters?
>
> ~ $ ls
> [00m[00m#.diary.cyclic-tasks#[00m
> [00m#.newsrc-dribble#[00m
> [00m#cts#[00m
> [00mBalanced Routing.xls[00m

those look like ANSI color escape characters. There is an ansi-color
mode which will handle these appropriately. alternatively, you can
customize ls not do use colours. Try an apropos for ansi-color

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: eshell ls display
@ 2006-12-13 12:32   ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-12-13 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> <bgm-rao@ieee.org> writes:
>
>> When I use ls within eshell, this is what I see.
>> How do I get rid of the extra characters?
>>
>> ~ $ ls
>> [00m[00m#.diary.cyclic-tasks#[00m
>> [00m#.newsrc-dribble#[00m
>> [00m#cts#[00m
>> [00mBalanced Routing.xls[00m
>>

> those look like ANSI color escape characters. There is an ansi-color
> mode which will handle these appropriately. alternatively, you can
> customize ls not do use colours. Try an apropos for ansi-color

Hmm, it seems that eshell in this case does not use its internal ls,
right? How can that happen? What happens if he tries "eshell/ls"
instead of "ls"?

* Re: eshell ls display
@ 2006-12-14 22:52     ` Tim X
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1903.1166158477.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2006-12-14 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mathias Dahl <brakjoller@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
>> <bgm-rao@ieee.org> writes:
>>
>>> When I use ls within eshell, this is what I see.
>>> How do I get rid of the extra characters?
>>>
>>> ~ $ ls
>>> [00m[00m#.diary.cyclic-tasks#[00m
>>> [00m#.newsrc-dribble#[00m
>>> [00m#cts#[00m
>>> [00mBalanced Routing.xls[00m
>>>

>> those look like ANSI color escape characters. There is an ansi-color
>> mode which will handle these appropriately. alternatively, you can
>> customize ls not do use colours. Try an apropos for ansi-color
>
> Hmm, it seems that eshell in this case does not use its internal ls,
> right? How can that happen? What happens if he tries "eshell/ls"
> instead of "ls"?

Good question. Its been many years since I had to deal with the issues
of ansi escape characters within emacs, either in a shell or with
output from colour enabled ls etc. Luckily, I now use Debian and
everything "just works".

I'm running emacs 22 and tried both ls, /bin/ls and eshell/ls - all of
which worked correctly for me. Given that I have redefined my colour
associations, it looks like /bin/ls uses the system ls, while ls and
eshell/ls are using the eshell versions (they don't obey my customized
colour settings).

So, I would say that either his system is using the system ls (not
sure what version of emacs or eshell he is running) or somehow his
terminal settings are screwed and don't handle ansi colour escape
codes (though I thought emacs 21 onwards default was to handle this).
Maybe the OP should try starting emacs -q to see if he gets the same
problem. If not, then its something in his .emacs that has screwed up
ansi colour support.

Tim

--

@ 2006-12-15  4:53       ` bgm-rao
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1903.1166158477.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: bgm-rao @ 2006-12-15  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

     > So, I would say that either his system is using the system ls (not
     > sure what version of emacs or eshell he is running) or somehow his
     > terminal settings are screwed and don't handle ansi colour escape
     > codes (though I thought emacs 21 onwards default was to handle this).
     > Maybe the OP should try starting emacs -q to see if he gets the same
     > problem. If not, then its something in his .emacs that has screwed up
     > ansi colour support.

     > Tim

Thanks very much for the pointers.
I am  running emacs 22.  I realized that I had aliased ls to the
system ls. The eshell version works all right. I will try and
check what setting is making the system version render the way it does.

- Rao

* Re: eshell ls display
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1903.1166158477.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-15 15:45         ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-12-15 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

bgm-rao@ieee.org writes:

> Thanks very much for the pointers.  I am running emacs 22.  I
> realized that I had aliased ls to the system ls. The eshell version
> works all right. I will try and check what setting is making the
> system version render the way it does.

If you don't find the problem you can always alias "ls" to "ls
--color=never", or similar.