all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emac in large projects
@ 2007-02-19 15:57 Ask
From: Ask @ 2007-02-19 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am a new learner of Emacs. How is it used for large projects. At
least, how do we find all occurrences of a function, how do we jump to
definition of a variable or function. There are other tools to do that
- gid, cscope etc. Can it be done from within the emacs editor
itself ?

Thanks

* Re: emac in large projects
@ 2007-02-19 18:52 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2007-02-19 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 19, 3:57 pm, "Ask" <a...@indiatimes.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a new learner of Emacs. How is it used for large projects. At
> least, how do we find all occurrences of a function,

Etags helps with this.  For this particualar problem you'd probably
use grep to find occurance of the name of the function.

> how do we jump to
> definition of a variable or function.

Using Etags and the M-. command.  See the info page for tags.

* Re: emac in large projects
@ 2007-02-19 18:58 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-02-19 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Ask" <ask.q@indiatimes.com> writes:
> I am a new learner of Emacs. How is it used for large projects. At
> least, how do we find all occurrences of a function, how do we jump to
> definition of a variable or function. There are other tools to do that
> - gid, cscope etc. Can it be done from within the emacs editor
> itself ?

There are add-on IDE's.

For example, have a look at http://cedet.sourceforge.net  for C/C++ development,
or at http://common-lisp.net/project/slime for Common Lisp development.

For the specific feature you ask, you can build a TAGS file for your
project, scanning all the source and header files with the etags
command, and using the find-tag command (M-.) to find definitions, etc.

For example, I put this target in my Makefile:

etags tags:
	find $$(pwd) \( -name \*.lisp \
					-o -name \*.[hc] \
					-o -name \*.hh -o -name \*.cc \
				\) -print | etags -

M-x tags-reset-tags-table RET
M-x compile RET tags RET

Then I type the name of a function and M-.
it asks for confirmation of the name of the function,
and for the path to the TAGS file built by make tags above, (the first
time after a tags-reset-tags-table), and the goes to the definition.

HEALTH WARNING: Care should be taken when lifting this product,
since its mass, and thus its weight, is dependent on its velocity
relative to the user.

* Re: emac in large projects
@ 2007-02-19 19:21   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-02-19 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

Hello!

> For example, have a look at http://cedet.sourceforge.net for C/C++
> development, or at http://common-lisp.net/project/slime for Common
> Lisp development.

And add JDEE (http://jdee.sunsite.dk/) for Java programs and ri-emacs
(http://rubyforge.org/projects/ri-emacs/) for Ruby.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

* Re: emac in large projects
@ 2007-02-20 15:26     ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-20 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
>
> Hello!
>
>> For example, have a look at http://cedet.sourceforge.net for C/C++
>> development, or at http://common-lisp.net/project/slime for Common
>> Lisp development.
>
> And add JDEE (http://jdee.sunsite.dk/) for Java programs and ri-emacs
> (http://rubyforge.org/projects/ri-emacs/) for Ruby.

and for php?

* Re: emac in large projects
@ 2007-02-20 21:42 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-02-20 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Help  [help-gnu-emacs]

You must create a TAGS file first of all, in which one keeps the symbols from your project.

For example, to create a file TAGS of all symbols of EMACS you can use from a Shell

# find -name *.el -o -name *.[ch] | xargs etags

(see the documentation from find, xargs, etags)

II. From Emacs:

M-x visit-tags-table RET

<path-to-your-TAGS-file>

then M-. for the first occurence of a definition of a symbol
or

C-u 1 M-. for the next occurences, etc.

And for more see the doc from emacs info, node TAGS.

* Re: emac in large projects
       [not found] <mailman.4825.1172007761.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-20 22:43 ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-20 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> writes:

> You must create a TAGS file first of all, in which one keeps the symbols from your project.
>
> For example, to create a file TAGS of all symbols of EMACS you can use from a Shell
>
> # find -name *.el -o -name *.[ch] | xargs etags

I use ctags-exuberant which has recursion.

#!/bin/bash
cd ~/programming/c
echo Calculating local tags ....
ctags-exuberant  -f TAGS -e --recurse=yes --links=yes ~/programming/c

* Re: emac in large projects
@ 2007-03-01 14:49 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-03-01 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ask wrote:

> I am a new learner of Emacs. How is it used for large projects. At
> least, how do we find all occurrences of a function, how do we jump to
> definition of a variable or function. There are other tools to do that
> - gid, cscope etc. Can it be done from within the emacs editor
> itself ?

The ...tag function previously described are fine.

Another solution is to run grep within emacs, and then click on a hit or
step through the hits.  It's not context sensitive like the tags
feature, but it requires no preprocessing and works for any directory
regardless if the programming language.

* Re: emac in large projects
@ 2007-03-01 16:07   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-03-01 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

> Ask wrote:
>>
>> I am a new learner of Emacs. How is it used for large projects. At
>> least, how do we find all occurrences of a function, how do we jump to
>> definition of a variable or function. There are other tools to do that
>> - gid, cscope etc. Can it be done from within the emacs editor
>> itself ?
>
> The ...tag function previously described are fine.
>
> Another solution is to run grep within emacs, and then click on a hit
> or step through the hits.  It's not context sensitive like the tags
> feature, but it requires no preprocessing and works for any directory
> regardless if the programming language.

There is a cscope interface for emacs. I recommend it. tags are
extremely limited imo. cscope does a much better, if slower, job.

google up xcscope.