all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dired renaming files: replacing mutliple whitespaces with underscores
@ 2007-04-30 10:27 Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2007-04-30 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

could somebody point me in the right direction on replacing multiple
whitespaces in filenames with underscores using dired?

% m \(.*[ ].*\)+\..+ RET  ; mark all files with spaces
% R [ ] RET _ RET         ; replace space with underscore

The drawback is that one has to repeat this many times for file names
wich have multiple whitespaces.

Is there better way of doing this with dired (or dired-x, dired+)?

TIA

Patrick

BTW: I'm using Emacs23 from CVS.
--
Snoopy: My life has no purpose. My life has no direction, no aim, no
meaning. And yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out! What am I doing

* Re: dired renaming files: replacing mutliple whitespaces with underscores
@ 2007-04-30 11:16 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-04-30 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de>
() Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:27:48 +0200

   better way [...] ?

perhaps wdired-mode (via command wdired-change-to-wdired-mode).

thi

* Re: dired renaming files: replacing mutliple whitespaces with underscores
@ 2007-04-30 11:55   ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2007-04-30 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> writes:

> () Patrick Drechsler <patrick@pdrechsler.de>
> () Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:27:48 +0200
>
>    better way [...] ?
>
> perhaps wdired-mode (via command wdired-change-to-wdired-mode).

thanks a lot! This is a lot simpler than trying to find a regexp...

Cheers

Patrick
--
"It's called a shovel... I've seen gardeners use them.
You stick the sharp end in the ground. Then it gets a bit technical."