all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recommend default font for emacs 21.4.1 on linux
@ 2007-05-30  1:10 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2007-05-30  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello:
I have just migrated from slack 10.0 to kubuntu 7.04 amd 64. Emacs
was installed using the apt-get system.

In my .Xdefaults on slack, I used the following directive:
Emacs*Font: -adobe-times-bold-i-normal--12-120-75-75-p-68-iso8859-1
and was very happy with the display.

The same 'code' on ubuntu has unhappy results, everything is in italics.
Commenting out that code makes for a nice display, but font is too large
for my preference.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
I used xlsfonts >file to capture the output and tried a few settings,
but nothing pleased me...
thanks
tim

* Re: Recommend default font for emacs 21.4.1 on linux
@ 2007-05-30  2:05 ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2007-05-30  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-05-30, Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote:

> In my .Xdefaults on slack, I used the following directive:
> Emacs*Font: -adobe-times-bold-i-normal--12-120-75-75-p-68-iso8859-1
> and was very happy with the display.
>
> The same 'code' on ubuntu has unhappy results, everything is in italics.
> Commenting out that code makes for a nice display, but font is too large
> for my preference.

Try:

-adobe-times-bold-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-68-iso8859-1

Note the change   ^

If you don't like that, open xfontsel and play around with the options
until you find a combination you like.

HTH,

Tyler

* Re: Recommend default font for emacs 21.4.1 on linux
@ 2007-05-30  2:35   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2007-05-30  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tyler Smith wrote:

> Try:
>
> -adobe-times-bold-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-68-iso8859-1
 Yup. I like that.

> If you don't like that, open xfontsel and play around with the options
> until you find a combination you like.
  xfontsel! That's what I was trying to remember.

> HTH,
  Sure did

@ 2007-05-30  7:36     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-05-30  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

() Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
() Tue, 29 May 2007 18:35:54 -0800

   xfontsel! That's what I was trying to remember.

some old code that wraps xlsfonts(1) to effect an "in-buffer xfontsel":
<http://www.gnuvola.org/software/personal-elisp/dist/lisp/low-stress/set-font-at-point.el>

thi

* Re: Recommend default font for emacs 21.4.1 on linux
@ 2007-05-31 17:43 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2007-05-31 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How do you folk manage editing code?

I find that with a fixed width font (courier) I run out of screen space
And with a proportional font the indentation gets messed up because the
default space-width is too narrow.

* RE: Recommend default font for emacs 21.4.1 on linux
@ 2007-05-31 18:01 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <465F0A4F.9090900@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-05-31 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/GoodFonts

@ 2007-05-31 18:08   ` Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2007-05-31 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yeah wish for the good ol days (Sigh)
When I was a C programmer (and equally haskell, lisp, assembly...) I used a
console and left fonts (and X) to the sissies who liked eye-candy.
Today I work with ruby on rails -- involves at any time 10-15 buffers to be
**simultaneously** manipulated selected from close to a hundred files.

All to be done on a 15 inch monitor (until Monday when my machine was hacked
into when I carelessly left my root open and sshd running!).  Now it wont
boot and so I'm on my 14 inch laptop.

Now what is it you were saying about 80 columns ??

       [not found] <mailman.1454.1180633421.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-31 18:12 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-05-31 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Rustom Mody" <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> How do you folk manage editing code?
>
> I find that with a fixed width font (courier) I run out of screen
> space And with a proportional font the indentation gets messed up
> because the default space-width is too narrow.

Courier has a bad legibility/screenestate ratio.  I use 10x20, a fixed
width _pixel_ font (meaning that some human designed this pixel for
pixel, rather than relying on some rasterizer to come up with some
approximation to an outline, a process that starts working somewhat
tolerably at resolutions of 200dpi and higher).

@ 2007-06-01  7:51 ` Alexey Pustyntsev
From: Alexey Pustyntsev @ 2007-06-01  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Rustom Mody" <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> How do you folk manage editing code?
>
> I find that with a fixed width font (courier) I run out of screen space
> And with a proportional font the indentation gets messed up because the default space-width is too
> narrow.

Hi!

I am using a fixed width font and all my lines of code don't span 72
characters. I think this length is comfortable and there is plenty
of space left.

--
Rgds
Alexey

Today is Boomtime, the 6th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3173

@ 2007-06-07 21:25 ` Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-06-07 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I personally like Lucida console bold, but everyone has their
preference.  I agree that a fixed width font is preferable for code
portability.

I limit my lines to ~100 characters so I can put two windows side by
side.  If you have very wide lines, perhaps the issue is your coding
style.  As with newspapers, narrower columns will be easier for your
maintainer to read.