all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing startup horizontal window split behaviour
@ 2007-10-02 14:38 Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2007-10-02 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I start emacs with more than one file specified on the command
line, the emacs display is split horizontally with a buffer-list
displayed in the top window and the first file in the bottom window.

How can I change this behaviour, in general? Could I perhaps have a
vertical split or not display a buffer list?

Thanks!

Andrew Walrond

* Re: Changing startup horizontal window split behaviour
@ 2007-10-03  9:33 ` Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2007-10-03  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andrew Walrond wrote:
> When I start emacs with more than one file specified on the command
> line, the emacs display is split horizontally with a buffer-list
> displayed in the top window and the first file in the bottom window.
>
> How can I change this behaviour, in general? Could I perhaps have a
> vertical split or not display a buffer list?

The list wasn't very forthcoming, but #emacs was more forthcoming, so I
thought I'd share what I learned here where web-searches might find it.

First, to stop emacs from opening a buffer-list on startup, just set
this variable
	inhibit-startup-buffer-menu
to t in .emacs

Second, although I haven't managed to stop the window from being split,
it's possible to delete the extra window by adding this to .emacs:
	(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook 'delete-other-windows)

Another little gem is how to get the buffer-list (C-x C-b) and other
special buffers to appear in the current-window, rather than the
other-window. This is achieved by adding this to .emacs
	(nconc same-window-buffer-names '("*Buffer List*" "*Help*"))

@ 2007-10-03 16:44   ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2007-10-03 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

   Another little gem is how to get the buffer-list (C-x C-b) and other
   special buffers to appear in the current-window, rather than the
   other-window. This is achieved by adding this to .emacs
           (nconc same-window-buffer-names '("*Buffer List*" "*Help*"))

Finding this little gem has been on my todo list for a long time, thank
you, Andrew.