all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Local variables question
@ 2008-01-17 14:30 Andreas Davour
       [not found] ` <mailman.6232.1200585992.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Davour @ 2008-01-17 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I've recently gotten a lot of these messages:

----------8<----------8<------------
local variables list in DNA.lisp
contains values that may not be safe (*).

Do you want to apply it?  You can type
y  -- to apply the local variables list.
n  -- to ignore the local variables list.
!  -- to apply the local variables list, and permanently mark these
      values (*) as safe (in the future, they will be set
      automatically.)

  * Syntax : ANSI-Common-Lisp
  * Base : 10
---------->8---------->8------------

Some of the variables are really innocent ones and I haven't seen any
message like this before.

Was there a list of safe variables before or have the newest emacs
started being paranoid? Is there a way of getting rid of this? It's
quite annoying to have that show up every time I visit a new file.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

* Re: Local variables question
@ 2008-01-17 16:04 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.6232.1200585992.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-17 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Davour; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.01.2008 um 15:30 schrieb Andreas Davour:

> Was there a list of safe variables before or have the newest emacs
> started being paranoid?

The latter is true.

> Is there a way of getting rid of this?

Press ``!´´ Then it will be listed among the customisation in your
user init file, ~/.emacs.

> It's quite annoying to have that show up every time I visit a new
> file.

Send a bug report requesting to make this or that variable a safe one
by default. Sometimes it works.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's something the technicians need to learn from the artists. If
it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's probably wrong.

@ 2008-01-17 18:26   ` Andreas Davour
From: Andreas Davour @ 2008-01-17 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 17.01.2008 um 15:30 schrieb Andreas Davour:
>
>> Was there a list of safe variables before or have the newest emacs
>> started being paranoid?
>
> The latter is true.
>
>> Is there a way of getting rid of this?
>
> Press ``!´´ Then it will be listed among the customisation in
> your user init file, ~/.emacs.
>
>> It's quite annoying to have that show up every time I visit a new
>> file.
>

> Send a bug report requesting to make this or that variable a safe one
> by default. Sometimes it works.

Thanks for your feedback. Maybe I should just go to the source and dump
a new emacs that's not so paranoid.

/Andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

* Re: Local variables question
@ 2008-01-17 18:50     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-17 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Davour; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.01.2008 um 19:26 schrieb Andreas Davour:

> Maybe I should just go to the source and dump a new emacs that's
> not so paranoid.

If the change was accomplished by some level of paranoia then, I
presume, the code is camouflaged ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

And always remember the last words of my grandfather, who said: “A
truck!”
				— Emo Phillips

* Re: Local variables question
@ 2008-01-22 15:34       ` Sebastian Tennant
From: Sebastian Tennant @ 2008-01-22 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Quoth Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>:
> Am 17.01.2008 um 19:26 schrieb Andreas Davour:
>
>> Maybe I should just go to the source and dump a new emacs that's not
>> so paranoid.
>

> If the change was accomplished by some level of paranoia then, I
> presume, the code is camouflaged ...

I believe

 (setq enable-local-eval t
       enable-local-variables t)

effectively disables these safety measures.

Sebastian