all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Enlarging the question Was: Re: Does pclcvs support ssh protocol ?
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 12:29:16 +1100	[thread overview]

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Pierre Lorenzon <devel@pollock-nageoire.net> writes:
>
> One thing you can do also is using sshfs:
> You can mount the file system where your cvs repo is and then commit locally your
> changes.(thought not all server autorize that)

Actually, sshfs is very nice. I use it a lot. Essentially, its like a
personal NFS over ssh. If you can ssh to a server, you can probably do
sshfs. It has some nice properties, like the ability to automatically
re-establish the connection if it is broken.

Once you have it running, the sshfs just appears as another mounted
filesystem (with some limitations relating to things like file size
reporting and df etc).

What I like about it is that I can then operate on things with any tools
I have, not just emacs/tramp/etc. I have a rather extensive emacs
package that I depend on which is very large and frequently it has to be
updated after changes to tramp. As I also use CVS emacs, I find sshfs
extremely useful for those times I've got a bug I've not had time to
work out with tramp - essentially, sshfs can give me the same
functionality.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au