all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Which font for Arabian transcriptions (WinXP)?
@ 2008-03-12 19:34 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-03-12 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi to all

A friend of mine needs a unicode font for Emacs on WinXP (for LaTeX
files) which can display characters needed for Arabian transcriptions.
For example:

ā "0101"
ī "012B"
ū "016B"
ḏ "1E0F"
ḍ "1E0D"
ṯ "1E6F"
ṭ "1E6D"
ǧ "01E7"
ġ "0121"
ḫ "1E2B"

It's no problem to display these characters on my Emacs running on
Debian with the default-font adobe-courier. However, she is on
MS-WinXP and no font containing these characters seems to be available
for Emacs on that system. adobe-courier can be downloaded only for
quite an amount of money from the Adobe homepage (I really wonder why
it's available on a standard Debian system).

Does anybody have a tip about a free font containing these characters
which nicely plays together with Emacs? I have searched the web for
two hours without finding anything.

Thanks a lot

Sven

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Which font for Arabian transcriptions (WinXP)?
@ 2008-03-12 20:15 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-12 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.03.2008 um 20:34 schrieb Sven Bretfeld:

> ā "0101"
Lucida Sans Typewriter, DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace
Regular, Arial Unicode MS

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete      <\
              _\     O  _
             |o \  _\\_/-\='
_____________(_)|-(_)  (_)___________________________________

[-- Attachment #2: Signierter Teil der Nachricht --]

* Re: Which font for Arabian transcriptions (WinXP)?
@ 2008-03-12 22:50   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-03-12 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Peter

> Am 12.03.2008 um 20:34 schrieb Sven Bretfeld:
>
>> ā "0101"
> Lucida Sans Typewriter, DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular,
> Arial Unicode MS
>> ī "012B"
> Lucida Sans Typewriter, DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular,
> Arial Unicode MS
>> ū "016B"
> Lucida Sans Typewriter, DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular,
> Arial Unicode MS
>> ḏ "1E0F"
> 	DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular, Arial Unicode MS
>> ḍ "1E0D"
> 	DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular, Arial Unicode MS
>> ṯ "1E6F"
> 	DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular, Arial Unicode MS
>> ṭ "1E6D"
> 	DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular, Arial Unicode MS
>> ǧ "01E7"
> 	DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular, Arial Unicode MS
>> ġ "0121"
> Lucida Sans Typewriter, DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular,
> Arial Unicode MS
>> ḫ "1E2B"
> 	DejaVu Sans Mono, FreeMono, Monospace Regular, Arial Unicode MS

Oh. Thanks. How did you find that out?

Greetings

@ 2008-03-12 23:11     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-12 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.03.2008 um 23:50 schrieb Sven Bretfeld:

> How did you find that out?

UnicodeChecker 1.13. As with (slow and resources consuming)
CharacterPalette it shows which fonts have the selected character.
Have you visited: http://live.gnome.org/Gucharmap ?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Üblicherweise begehen Menschen beim Entwerfen vollkommen
narrensicherer Dinge gerne den Fehler, das Genie des Volltrottels zu
unterschätzen.

@ 2008-03-13  7:51       ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2008-03-13  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs