all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* name argument in font-spec
@ 2008-06-14 21:49 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-14 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

The function Ffont_spec accepts a :name argument, but this is not
documented in the docstring.  Is this intentional, or an oversight?

AFAICT, the only way for a Lisp function to obtain a font-spec from a
font name is to do (font-spec :name name), so I think this key should
definitely be documented.

* Re: name argument in font-spec
@ 2008-06-15 11:33 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-06-15 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <87mylnu1pm.fsf@stupidchicken.com>, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:

> The function Ffont_spec accepts a :name argument, but this is not
> documented in the docstring.  Is this intentional, or an oversight?

Ah, it's intentional.

I'm still hesitating over which to choose
(1) (font-spec :name name)
(2) (font-spec "NAME")
(3) (font-parse-name "NAME")
for returning a font-spec from name.

What do you think?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp

* Re: name argument in font-spec
@ 2008-06-15 14:14   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-06-15 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Handa; +Cc: emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:

>> The function Ffont_spec accepts a :name argument, but this is not
>> documented in the docstring.  Is this intentional, or an oversight?
>
> Ah, it's intentional.
>
> I'm still hesitating over which to choose
> (1) (font-spec :name name)
> (2) (font-spec "NAME")
> (3) (font-parse-name "NAME")
> for returning a font-spec from name.
>
> What do you think?

Let's go with (font-spec :name name).

* Re: name argument in font-spec
@ 2008-06-16 11:54     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2008-06-16 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

In article <873ane7pl6.fsf@stupidchicken.com>, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
>>> The function Ffont_spec accepts a :name argument, but this is not
>>> documented in the docstring.  Is this intentional, or an oversight?
> >
> > Ah, it's intentional.
> >
> > I'm still hesitating over which to choose
> > (1) (font-spec :name name)
> > (2) (font-spec "NAME")
> > (3) (font-parse-name "NAME")
> > for returning a font-spec from name.
> >
> > What do you think?

> Let's go with (font-spec :name name).

Ok, I've just documented :name in font-spec.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@ni.aist.go.jp