all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* --daemon vs. server-start
@ 2009-01-21 23:03 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2009-01-21 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.30 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of
2009-01-21 on escher

The discussion of the Emacs server in the Emacs manual (node Emacs
Server) suggests that --daemon and server-start are basically equivalent
methods of starting the server (aside from the difference with respect
to frames, of course).  This leads me to expect that regardless of which
way I start the server, the result of subsequently invoking emacsclient
should be the same.  But I have encountered some systematic asymmetries.
I don't know if these are expected but undocumented, or I have failed to
find the documentation, or there is a bug.

(i) One asymmetry concerns certain X resources passed via the -xrm
command line option (these are all shell invocations):

emacs -Q -xrm 'Emacs.ReverseVideo: on' -f server-start
emacsclient -c
=> The client frame is in reverse video

emacs -Q -xrm 'Emacs.ReverseVideo: on' --daemon
emacsclient -c
=> The client frame is in normal video

The same pattern holds for the resources Foreground, Background,
MenuBar, ToolBar.  (I haven't tested all X resources yet.)  In contrast,
for resources that have their own command line option, there is no
asymmetry:

emacs -Q -rv -f server-start
emacsclient -c
=> The client frame is in reverse video

emacs -Q -rv --daemon
emacsclient -c
=> The client frame is in reverse video

Likewise for -fg and -bg.

(ii) Another asymmetry concerns the font specification option -fn:

emacs -Q -fn "Dejavu Sans Mono-10" -f server-start
emacsclient -c
=> The client frame's font is Dejavu Sans Mono-10

emacs -Q -fn "Dejavu Sans Mono-10" --daemon
emacsclient -c
=> The client frame's font is
-etl-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso8859-1

(On my system the latter font is used when invoking emacsclient after
emacs with the --daemon option regardless of which font I specify with
-fn.)

(iii) In the preceding cases it is with --daemon that the expected (and
desirable) result of invoking emacsclient is missing.  But there is also
a case, apparently unrelated to X resources, where after invoking Emacs
with --daemon, the result of invoking emacsclient is what I expect (and
prefer) but not after invoking Emacs with -f start-server:

emacs -Q --daemon
emacsclient -c
=> The frame that appears has desktop focus

emacs -Q -f start-server
emacsclient -c
=> The frame that appears does not have desktop focus (rather, the xterm
window still has focus).

All these aysmmetries seem like bugs.  Are they?

Steve Berman

* Re: --daemon vs. server-start
@ 2009-01-24 20:49 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-01-24 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Dejavu Sans-10 with antialiasing.  In contrast, as I observed in my OP,
> with this invocation:

> emacs -Q --daemon -xrm "Emacs.FontBackend: xft" -fn "Dejavu Sans-10"

> the frame that appears upon `emacsclient -c' has neither antialiasing
> nor this font.

I think it's an unintended side-effect of the current code.
Without having looked at the details of the code, I'd expect that it
should be possible to make it work, tho it may require
significant efforts.  I.e. patches welcome.