all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* can american keyboard write finnish character 'ä', 'ö', 'å' in emacs?
@ 2009-03-24 13:36 tukuniata
From: tukuniata @ 2009-03-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

hi, everybody
first of all i m new in emacs i have been reading so many tutorial about
emacs but i m not finding a solution to my problem. i m running my emacs in
windows xp as i plugin to cygwin. i would like to know if emacs can help me
to write this finnish character ' ä', 'ö', 'å', with my american keyboard.
if it is possible how can do?

thanks for your help.

* Re: can american keyboard write finnish character 'ä', 'ö', 'å' in emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.3943.1237957110.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-25  5:41 ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4012.1238077158.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-03-25  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 24, 9:36 pm, tukuniata <tukuni...@live.com> wrote:
> hi, everybody
> first of all i m new in emacs i have been reading so many tutorial about
> emacs but i m not finding a solution to my problem. i m running my emacs in
> windows xp as i plugin to cygwin. i would like to know if emacs can help me
> to write this finnish character ' ä', 'ö', 'å', with my american keyboard.
> if it is possible how can do?

C-\ toggles the input-method, which can be chosen from a large list if
you use the C-u prefix (or the first time it is used if a default
input-method is not specified in your language environment).

Possible methods for entering these characters are: TeX (use TeX
sequences), finnish-postfix (ae, oe, ???), latin-1-alt-postfix/latin-1-
postfix (a", o", a/), latin-1-prefix ("a, "o, /a), scandanavian-
postfix (a", o", aa), sgml (use SGML entities), ucs (use u followed by
unicode code point).

@ 2009-03-25  5:47 ` poppyer
From: poppyer @ 2009-03-25  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tukuniata <tukuniata@live.com> writes:

: hi, everybody
: first of all i m new in emacs i have been reading so many tutorial about
: emacs but i m not finding a solution to my problem. i m running my emacs in
: windows xp as i plugin to cygwin. i would like to know if emacs can help me
: to write this finnish character ' ä', 'ö', 'å', with my american keyboard.
: if it is possible how can do?
:
: thanks for your help.

C-x 8 " a gives ä
C-x 8 " o gives ö
C-x 8 / a gives å

HTH,
poppyer

* Re: can american keyboard write finnish character 'ä', 'ö', 'å' in  emacs?
@ 2009-03-25  6:06 ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
       [not found] ` <mailman.4014.1238080116.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2009-03-25  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tukuniata; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 06:36:58AM -0700, tukuniata wrote:

> hi, everybody
> first of all i m new in emacs i have been reading so many tutorial about
> emacs but i m not finding a solution to my problem. i m running my emacs in
> windows xp as i plugin to cygwin. i would like to know if emacs can help me
> to write this finnish character ' ä', 'ö', 'å', with my american keyboard.
> if it is possible how can do?

There are different ways; one that should work is changing the input
method:

M-x set-input-method RET latin-1-prefix RET

Now, typing " and then o will give you ö (o-umlaut), "a => ä, /a => å
and so on. å is swedish, not finnish though :)

Good luck!
Dirk.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema          <djcb[at]djcbsoftware.nl>
             http://www.djcbsoftware.nl/
PGP: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C

@ 2009-03-25  8:29 ` Stefan Kamphausen
From: Stefan Kamphausen @ 2009-03-25  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

tukuniata <tukuniata@live.com> writes:

> hi, everybody
> first of all i m new in emacs i have been reading so many tutorial about
> emacs but i m not finding a solution to my problem. i m running my emacs in
> windows xp as i plugin to cygwin

I don't know nothing about Windows and Cygwin, but isn't a
Compose-key-like thing available like it is in X-Windows?  I use it all
the time.

> i would like to know if emacs can help me to write this finnish
> character ' ä', 'ö', 'å', with my american keyboard.  if it is
> possible how can do?

Using the compose key you would just type Compose+" followed by an 'a'
to get an A DIARESIS.  I enable it using
keycode 109 = Multi_key
in my .Xmodmap.

But again: I really can't tell whether this is applicable on the windows
platform.

Cheers,
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)
You hit. The format string crumbles and turns to dust.

* Re: can american keyboard write finnish character 'ä', 'ö', 'å' in emacs?
@ 2009-03-26 14:19   ` tukuniata
       [not found]   ` <mailman.4012.1238077158.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tukuniata @ 2009-03-26 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

C-\ toggles the input-method, which can be chosen from a large list if
you use the C-u prefix (or the first time it is used if a default
input-method is not specified in your language environment).

Possible methods for entering these characters are: TeX (use TeX
sequences), finnish-postfix (ae, oe, ???), latin-1-alt-postfix/latin-1-
postfix (a", o", a/), latin-1-prefix ("a, "o, /a), scandanavian-
postfix (a", o", aa), sgml (use SGML entities), ucs (use u followed by
unicode code point).

First of all thanks for all your effort that you are doing to help.
but my problem is far to be solved. According to the instruction on this
link
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Select-Input-Method.html#Select-Input-Method
and your instructions i learn quit a lot but none of the instruction worked,
and when i type: M-x list-input-methods
for Displaying a list of all the supported input methods. i m having a error
message saying that
no imput method is available, perhaps because you have not yet installed
LEIM (Libraries of Emacs Input Method).
now here is my question where can i get LEIM ? and how to install it ?
please remember that i m using windows xp in which i m running cygwin in
which i run emacs.
thanks again hope to read you soon

@ 2009-03-26 14:54     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-03-26 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 26, 10:19 pm, tukuniata <tukuni...@live.com> wrote:

> and when i type: M-x list-input-methods
> for Displaying a list of all the supported input methods. i m having a error
> message saying that
> no imput method is available, perhaps because you have not yet installed
> LEIM (Libraries of Emacs Input Method).
> now here is my question where can i get LEIM ? and how to install it ?

leim is part of Emacs, bundled with Emacs since 22.1, and as a
separate download in Emacs 20 and 21 which you should be able to get
from the same location as you got Emacs (ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs is the
definitive site, but Cygwin uses a package manager that can probably
download a preconfigured copy for you).

* Re: can american keyboard write finnish character 'ä', 'ö', 'å' in emacs?
@ 2009-03-26 15:08 ` tukuniata
       [not found] ` <mailman.4014.1238080116.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tukuniata @ 2009-03-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

tukuniata wrote:

> hi, everybody
> first of all i m new in emacs i have been reading so many tutorial about
> emacs but i m not finding a solution to my problem. i m running my emacs
> in windows xp as i plugin to cygwin. i would like to know if emacs can
> help me to write this finnish character ' ä', 'ö', 'å', with my american
> keyboard.
> if it is possible how can do?
>
> thanks for your help.

i found this site
http://dir.filewatcher.com/d/OpenBSD/3.7/arm/emacs-leim-21.3.tgz.2596576.html
in which i can download "emacs-leim-21.3.tgz " and i want to know if you
guys trust this site. please help.

@ 2009-03-27  0:16     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-27  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tukuniata wrote:

> C-\ toggles the input-method, which can be chosen from a large list if
> you use the C-u prefix (or the first time it is used if a default
> input-method is not specified in your language environment).
>
> Possible methods for entering these characters are: TeX (use TeX
> sequences), finnish-postfix (ae, oe, ???), latin-1-alt-postfix/latin-1-
> postfix (a", o", a/), latin-1-prefix ("a, "o, /a), scandanavian-
> postfix (a", o", aa), sgml (use SGML entities), ucs (use u followed by
> unicode code point).
>

> First of all thanks for all your effort that you are doing to help.
> but my problem is far to be solved. According to the instruction on this
> link
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Select-Input-Method.html#Select-Input-Method
> and your instructions i learn quit a lot but none of the instruction worked,
> and when i type: M-x list-input-methods
> for Displaying a list of all the supported input methods. i m having a error
> message saying that
> no imput method is available, perhaps because you have not yet installed
> LEIM (Libraries of Emacs Input Method).
> now here is my question where can i get LEIM ? and how to install it ?
> please remember that i m using windows xp in which i m running cygwin in
> which i run emacs.
> thanks again hope to read you soon

Since you would have leim if you downloaded version 21.4 or later
(either linux or windows), I'm assuming that you have the windows
binaries. leim for that build is at:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-leim.tar.gz

After this is unzipped with something like 7zip, it should go at the
same level as /bin, /lisp, /info under the main /emacs directory. This
all assumes that you would be willing to run the native windows Emacs
rather than Cygwin. Still, unless you are already very comfortable with
Cygwin, it would be easier to download the entire native Emacs 22.3
instead. I have tried both and the native build is much easier for users
accustomed to Windows and more responsive: no cygwin1.dll intermediary.

Red Hat has 22.3 leim for cygwin here:

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=emacs

@ 2009-03-27  0:22   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-27  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tukuniata wrote:

> tukuniata wrote:
>> hi, everybody
>> first of all i m new in emacs i have been reading so many tutorial about
>> emacs but i m not finding a solution to my problem. i m running my emacs
>> in windows xp as i plugin to cygwin. i would like to know if emacs can
>> help me to write this finnish character ' ä', 'ö', 'å', with my american
>> keyboard.
>> if it is possible how can do?
>>
>> thanks for your help.
>>
> i found this site
> http://dir.filewatcher.com/d/OpenBSD/3.7/arm/emacs-leim-21.3.tgz.2596576.html
> in which i can download "emacs-leim-21.3.tgz " and i want to know if you
> guys trust this site. please help.
> thanks for your help

It's probably safe but it's the wrong OS. You have XP and not BSD and
not arm processor, right? Go to the source, Luke (the link Jason gave you):

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ (windows binaries)

and here for a version of leim that will work on cygwin:

http://www.cygwin.com/

* Re: can american keyboard write finnish character 'ä', 'ö', 'å' in emacs?
@ 2009-03-27  5:12     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-03-27  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 27, 8:22 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:

> It's probably safe but it's the wrong OS. You have XP and not BSD and
> not arm processor, right? Go to the source, Luke (the link Jason gave you):

leim is all lisp, so the platform doesn't really matter, but is
probably safer to get it from ftp.gnu.org or one of its official
mirrors.

* Re: can american keyboard write finnish character 'ä', 'ö', 'å' in emacs?
@ 2009-03-27 12:40       ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-27 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Rumney wrote:
> On Mar 27, 8:22 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
>
>> It's probably safe but it's the wrong OS. You have XP and not BSD and
>> not arm processor, right? Go to the source, Luke (the link Jason gave you):
>
> leim is all lisp, so the platform doesn't really matter, but is
> probably safer to get it from ftp.gnu.org or one of its official
> mirrors.

Oops! Thats right. There are some .el files though, like those starting
with w32... in /lisp that aren't in the Gnu/Linux version , right?

Ed